• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help laying transpaent with no seam showing

SSIGNS DC

I would appriciate any help with this. I am trying to put on a back lite sign a print that is to big to do with one solid print. Does anyone know how to lay this so the seam will not show its a full color on the back and i am struggling on this . PLEASE HELP ME!!!

k.a.s.

Find someone with a wider printer. Sorry that's the best advice I have.

I never tried to do seems on a translucent print because I assumed I would get a black line. I suppose if you did it wet you could butt them against each other but I know that easier said than done. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

kevin

J Hill Designs

only thing I can think is apply with seam, then cut the seam off...will show a hairline light leak however...

best advise is sub out to a larger printer

airborneassault

If you don't want to source it to someone with a wide enough printer I'd suggest ordering a roll of the WrapCut (there's a banner in the upper right for me right now but they're a MM). Print your pieces with 1" - 2" overlap whatever you're comfortable with having extra on the first try doesn't hurt.

Now the tricky part, lets say you're doing a sign 4' x 8' for the purpose of my explanation and you wish to have a horizontal seam and you have a 30" printer.

You're first panel is 28" with the gripper of your printer by 8' long, second panel would be same size. Now you have 2" of overlap @ the bottom so measure on you substrate somewhere between 28" & 26" and make a few reference marks. Now run a line of the filament tape along this line. Apply your top panel, overlap your bottom panel and then pull the filament tape.

You should have a perfect butted seam with perfect alignment if all went well. Hopefully that makes sense, if not I know I've seen an illustration of this technique and I'll try to scrounge it up for you!
-Nathan

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Large format...

...or design the layout so a seam can be strategically placed so the overlap is part of the design.