Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help matching a handpainted font.

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by raw191, Jun 17, 2007.

1. raw191

raw191 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Can you pro's tell me a font that would be close, or should I just trace it?

raw191

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    The "M"s and the "o"s are so different from eachother that I would definitely trace it to preserve the look of it.

3. mladams7259

mladams7259 Very Active Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Ditto....

4. Rich

Rich Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Attention to detail wasen't in that signwriters forte!

As for the font - don't think there's anything close to it, thank God! I would just trace it and hand paint it.

5. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    That was hand painted by that same mythical nephew than can draw. As poor a job of hand lettering as I've seen lately.

Don't bother to trace this dreck, redraw it. You can see the flavor of it, now redraw it with a bit more attention to draftsmanship. Assuming that you, unlike the original artiste, can actually do hand lettering.

6. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Trace it! On a side note, It almost looks like very, very early Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's work. I mean wayyyyyyyyy back, before "Rat Fink" and some of his other icons. Is that a name or initials down there in the corner I see? If so, what is it?

7. raw191

raw191 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    It's from the late 60's. The initials are "J-" and then a picture of a bird. So j-bird. It was off of a customer's late fathers car. Kind of neat.