• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Need help matching Oracal 751 031red with a cheaper vinyl!

DecalGenieTN

Hi!

I need help matching Oracal 751 031red with a cheaper vinyl..

The 651 031red is NOT the same as the 751 031red because the process in which they are made (cast vs calendared)

I have swatches for Avery, Oracal, and 3M, but wondering if anyone could help me find a cheaper one!

I have already called multiple local shops and they only sell one type of vinyl at each :(

Thanks for any help!

Clint

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
SO you're saying you know what to do (compare to other swatch books)....you just want someone else to do it for you?

DecalGenieTN

SO you're saying you know what to do (compare to other swatch books)....you just want someone else to do it for you?

Not exactly lol.. I am asking if anyone knows of a cheaper vinyl that may match since I couldn't find one in the swatch books of the brands that I have on hand.

But on the other hand yes, I guess? I just wanted ideas, or if someone had other brand swatches on hand and could look and give me an idea.

There may be some cool cheap vinyl that I have not heard of ;)

papabud

Lone Wolf
whats the reason for not using the vinyl that is the color you need it to be.
every vinyl will be a different shade. so none of them will be a match

DecalGenieTN

whats the reason for not using the vinyl that is the color you need it to be.
every vinyl will be a different shade. so none of them will be a match

I just need a cheaper vinyl that is as close as possible...

Reason being is a customer wants 4,000 decals with dimensions of about 90" x 25" logos on both sides, and it would be fine with a cheaper vinyl. I am not making much money at all having to pay for 751 vinyl, tape, supplies, etc...

TDFcustomSL

I just need a cheaper vinyl that is as close as possible...

Reason being is a customer wants 4,000 decals with dimensions of about 90" x 25" logos on both sides, and it would be fine with a cheaper vinyl. I am not making much money at all having to pay for 751 vinyl, tape, supplies, etc...
Sorry but if you aren't making "much money at all" on 4,000 decals that are over 15 sq ft each, you need to either sit down and go over your pricing, or pass on this job. As for the color match, good luck. I have had multiple rolls of material ordered the same time, the same color, be pretty far off on matching from roll to roll. Maybe not to the normal person but as someone that was a painter in high production body shops I see color different than most.

bannertime

Yeah, on a job that size, it shouldn't matter if it's 631 or 951. You should make money either way. Sorry brother, may have to suck it up and use the 751. Work for free this job. Bring in some high school kids or something.

Brands Imaging

I agree with everyone else - I'm sure this job is done already but the 751 isn't much more than the 651 anyway. If you can't make money on the 751 with that many decals and you're a small shop you're going to be in trouble soon.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Is the red on 751 really all the different from 651? On a job where there is such little $ made they can't be that pickey.

solock

The question you need to ask is sort of a reality check. How close do you really need it to be? You can get lost down the rabbit hole of a perfect match when in reality the difference between lots may be as much as the difference between brands or grades. The second question is will the 751 ever be used close enough to the 651 to make a comparison? If they arent being installed on the same surface or location, who would ever see that they are really different. If the perfect match is that important then your price should cover that.

DecalGenieTN

Thanks for all of the help guys. This really is not an issue any longer and the job has been finished :)
I appreciate all of the input.