• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help matching window tint

victor bogdanov

A customer replaced a storefront glass panel, the original glass has a blue tint while the replacement glass does not have any color. Customer wants to get as close to as possible to the blueish glass using window film. Doesn't have to be perfect match. Any ideas on what film would work?

Original glass is Oldcastle brand

Capture.JPG

20240110_154648.jpg

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Can you tell if the original glass has a tint film? Might be SolarBlue tinted glass. Go to Old Castle's website and send an inquiry about how to match it, might get lucky.

JBurton

Signtologist
Print on some clear, a color fade from 0 to 100% cyan, slap it on the window (remove the board for a fair comparison), and see if anything hits that hue. Or hop on amazon and look for some slight blue tint.
Or do what DL says and go to the manufacturer, which was my first thought, but they'd probably just want to ship a new piece of glass and doubtful the client would want to pay a second time...

victor bogdanov

Can you tell if the original glass has a tint film? Might be SolarBlue tinted glass. Go to Old Castle's website and send an inquiry about how to match it, might get lucky.

The original glass does not have tint film, the actual glass is colored. I've reached out to the glass company, the replacement panel is from Oldcastle so not sure why they didn't match. Landlord, builder etc have no clue

weyandsign

DL Signs

The original glass does not have tint film, the actual glass is colored. I've reached out to the glass company, the replacement panel is from Oldcastle so not sure why they didn't match. Landlord, builder etc have no clue
The tint films available are most likely going to end up being way too intense blue, or too dark to come close to matching. Best option is finding a glass distributor in the area and have it matched, it's probably Viracon, they're the biggest mfgr in the business for colored architectural float glass, and have standard base colors, the chart should give an idea of what color it is. If the building owner has access to the architect or contractors to get the info on what was used, it would make life simpler. If they don't want to go through the expense/ hassle of replacing it again you'd probably get a closer result doing what JBurton suggested, match the color & density on clear film, which may, or may not be easy to hit the color, but it'll probably get you closer than a tint film.

Viracon Glass Colors_Base.jpg

victor bogdanov

So I got a call back from oldcastle glass, probably the rudest call I've ever had inquiring about something. The lady had "no clue about any blue glass or tinted glass or about anything I'm trying to do" . Asked her if she could help match/identify an oldcastle glasspanel and she said "absolutely not ask your customer". Amazing

Not sure why they bothered calling

DL Signs

Go straight to the source... The ones that makes & supplies all the colored stuff that Old Castle and most other companies use/ sell.

Johnny Best

Victor, you have a Canon and now Epson, why not get some clear and match a blue transparent color and adhere to back of glass. Just a thought.

victor bogdanov

Victor, you have a Canon and now Epson, why not get some clear and match a blue transparent color and adhere to back of glass. Just a thought.
From the inside the glass does not look blue at all, looks slightly gray tinted from inside and blue from outside. The light that shines through the windows isn't blue.

Printing might match the outside but will really stand out from inside I think

JBurton

Signtologist
So I got a call back from oldcastle glass, probably the rudest call I've ever had inquiring about something. The lady had "no clue about any blue glass or tinted glass or about anything I'm trying to do" . Asked her if she could help match/identify an oldcastle glasspanel and she said "absolutely not ask your customer". Amazing

Not sure why they bothered calling
Oh hell no, off to google reviews! Looks like they have 5 reviews, 3 of which are 1 star, shouldn't be hard to bring it down moreso. Though, as far as contractors ordering 500k worth of glass, not sure that they'd read the google reviews.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
From the inside the glass does not look blue at all, looks slightly gray tinted from inside and blue from outside. The light that shines through the windows isn't blue.

Printing might match the outside but will really stand out from inside I think
I'd probably ask a glazier to come out and check.

unfortunately the

Usually most tinted glass is the same spec.
We just got glass replaced on our factory, 20 years old, the tinted glass looks the same as the old.

Pretty horrendous the the idiot behind the phone was useless. should have at least forwarded you to a sales rep or something.

DL Signs

Usually most tinted glass is the same spec.
We just got glass replaced on our factory, 20 years old, the tinted glass looks the same as the old.
Tinted glass is kinda cool that way, it doesn't fade, and can't get damaged or peel like films. Color formulas are kept the same so replacements always match, even after decades. Always found that fascinating since we're always struggling to match colors. Downside is they're not "off the shelf", so acquiring replacements can be a pain unless you have the right contractor, connections, or a good glass supplier in your area. There's only a couple of manufacturers for these, Viracon is the biggest, which is why I suggested contacting them, might be able to hook him up directly, or refer him to a local distributor, like Old Castle could/ should have done.

Old Castle has two plants within 10 miles of me, these do glass for busses, and they've gone downhill in the past few years too. I heard that they cut daily checks for many employees to keep them, kinda makes you wonder if they're all hitting up their meth dealer after work every day. We live in strange times.

victor bogdanov

Tinted glass is kinda cool that way, it doesn't fade, and can't get damaged or peel like films. Color formulas are kept the same so replacements always match, even after decades. Always found that fascinating since we're always struggling to match colors. Downside is they're not "off the shelf", so acquiring replacements can be a pain unless you have the right contractor, connections, or a good glass supplier in your area. There's only a couple of manufacturers for these, Viracon is the biggest, which is why I suggested contacting them, might be able to hook him up directly, or refer him to a local distributor, like Old Castle could/ should have done.

Old Castle has two plants within 10 miles of me, these do glass for busses, and they've gone downhill in the past few years too. I heard that they cut daily checks for many employees to keep them, kinda makes you wonder if they're all hitting up their meth dealer after work every day. We live in strange times.
The replacement glass was purchased from oldcastle, I can see why the replacement doesn't match after speaking with them. I don't understand why the glass company that installed the glass didn't do a better job of matching either.

I'm most likely going to pass on this one, I don't feel like I can provide an acceptable match without spending way too much time on this. Told the customer I can install any film that they provide

victor bogdanov

Customer ordered the following and ill install next week

HOHOFILM

Not the kind of product I normally would use but I'll stick it on with no warranty/quality install expectation of any type.

"Do not fade, no bubbles, use a long time." sounds like might be a fun install :big laugh:

DL Signs

Customer ordered the following and ill install next week

HOHOFILM

Not the kind of product I normally would use but I'll stick it on with no warranty/quality install expectation of any type.

"Do not fade, no bubbles, use a long time." sounds like might be a fun install :big laugh:
Oh Yay! Straight outa' china tint! At least it's flat glass...
Be sure to update us how it went.

victor bogdanov

Install complete, glad I wasn't the one that selected the tint material.

Doesn't look too bad from the outside if there is nothing white by the window on the inside.

Amazon tint Film went on very easy but not sure how long it'll last/not fade/bubble up. Wasn't very sticky at all

1.png

2.png

DL Signs

Figured the blue would be way more intense, colored glass isn't made to make the world look blue like tints are. At least they picked it, and it's at ground level where its not super obvious.