• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help poring small text on styrene

aquariumfan

We’ve been running a lot of small text jobs on our efi hs125 vutek. We run .015 to .060 styrene and have been getting horrible registration. The text is coming out blurry. When we put it under the magnifying glass you can see satellite ink drops all around the edge of the text. We have dropped the head of the printer as low as we can slowed it down even wiped the substrate down with alcohol to cut down on static. I’m at a loss, I’ve tried everything I can think of and I’m hoping some of y’all have found a way around it.

aquariumfan

73AF2C5F-FAB9-408E-AA51-BD74D8E518F2.jpeg

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Styrene is notoriously static-y. Something that could help might be to raise the humidity in the printer's environment.

Another thing I might try would be spraying the back of the sheet with Anti-Static spray, though one would have to be careful not to affect the grip of the transport rollers.

I'm not sure that alcohol would cut down the static, as it evaporates immediately and leaves the surface super dry, possibly exacerbating the problem.

aquariumfan

What is an anti static spray? And does it affect to print or need to be wiped off before you print on the backside? Most of our work is double sidded

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
in a spray can. Most signage and printer suppliers will have an anti-static spray in their catalogues. Likely not the same as something like consumer Static-Guard for clothes.

Does it affect print? Possibly. I've used AS spray on vinyl as its being cut and I know press operators will spray the sides of a lift of paper going into a press to reduce static issues. We also will spray lifts of paper/card being die-cut on a LetterPress.

I guess some testing would be in order. Being that your product is styrene, I can't see that durability issues would be a concern because styrene is not really a long-term substrate, anyway.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We get pretty good results running styrene on our durst. Let us know if you want us to run some samples for you so you can focus on running other substrates.

https://www.firesprint.com/styrene-.040/

What about sticking the styrene to a sheet of aluminum? Never tried it here, but maybe it would help dissapate the static, then you could peel it off after the print.

aquariumfan

We get pretty good results running styrene on our durst. Let us know if you want us to run some samples for you so you can focus on running other substrates.

https://www.firesprint.com/styrene-.040/

What about sticking the styrene to a sheet of aluminum? Never tried it here, but maybe it would help dissapate the static, then you could peel it off after the print.
I like the idea of sticking it to aluminum but we run large quantities. I have heard that the durst are better at small text.

Try taking some dryer sheets that you would use in a clothes dryer, and rubbing them on the back of the sheet. They get rid of the static pretty well. You could also lightly drag them over the front. Just don’t completely wipe them on the front side. We have had good success with them removing all the static

Emd2kick

I’m assuming you tried unidirectional already correct?
Also, we use an anti static air gun hooked to our air hose to spray down sheets. It helps a lot w/ static. Was like $1800.