• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Printing Pantone 321C Exit Realty Teal Color

Signs4Realtors

I am printing an Exit Realty For Sale sign which requires Pantone 321C for the teal color. When I look at the CMYK values in Adobe Illustrator it shows the correct values, but when I load the .eps file into Roland Versaworks it looks like the CMYK values are not being converted correctly to C=100, M=0, Y=31, K=23. Why is this occurring in Versaworks? The caution yellow flag says the "color is out of gamut that the printer can reproduce with the current media and print quality".

I am selecting the Color Book / Pantone Solid Coated swatches...are these the correct swatches to select from or should I select Process Coated???

Thanks in advance for your input.

Attachments

• ExitColorRequirements.jpg
    ExitColorRequirements.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,685
  • Pantone.jpg
    Pantone.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 318
  • CMYK.jpg
    CMYK.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 307
  • Versaworks.jpg
    Versaworks.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 349
  • Caution.jpg
    Caution.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 211

oksigns

It appears you have a mix of Spot and Process colors existing in the same file. Weird stuff can happen like all spot colors going white and other odd behavior. Either deal with ALL spot colors, or convert everything to their equivalent CMYK values and take it in to versaworks. Don't mix Spot and Process colors.

Signs4Realtors

It appears you have a mix of Spot and Process colors existing in the same file. Weird stuff can happen like all spot colors going white and other odd behavior. Either deal with ALL spot colors, or convert everything to their equivalent CMYK values and take it in to versaworks. Don't mix Spot and Process colors.

Can you please elaborate on Spot versus Process. I usually just select colors from the basic CMYK swatch pallet in Illustrator and if I need to use a specific CMYK value I just add a color and type in the values. Is that what Process is?

And is Pantone 321C a Spot color?

oksigns

Spot colors are special premixed pigments used on printing plates. Process refers to the use of CMYK to obtain desired colors. You don't want to have a mix of Spot and CMYK colors in the file's swatch because there may be issues during the RIP- they are basically two different printing methods - Process is CMYK, and is used predominately for digital printing.

So in that file, you will want to convert all spot colors to CMYK and see if that helps. I mean, you CAN have spot colors in the document swatch, but make sure only the colors that are being used exist in the swatch and that they are spot

anything Pantone is spot...

Signs4Realtors

Can you please elaborate on Spot versus Process. I usually just select colors from the basic CMYK swatch pallet in Illustrator and if I need to use a specific CMYK value I just add a color and type in the values. Is that what Process is?

And is Pantone 321C a Spot color?

I just set up a brand new Illustrator with just one Pantone 321C color box and loaded it into Versaworks and the attached conversion occurred to different CMYK values than before? No other colors in the file except this one Pantone color. Might my settings be off for printing Pantones? Should I chose Pantone Process Coated, Pantone Solid Coated or some other swatch pallet when trying to print Pantone 321C?

Attachments

• OneColorSample.jpg
    OneColorSample.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 267

oksigns

That color is from the Pantone Solid Coat book. You might want to update that particular color book for versaworks as that is the wrong gamut for printing - way off

EDIT: I just looked over your screenshots again - if you are basing your color judgement from the versaworks preview screen, you ought to know it is not color accurate!! you might just want to do a clipped print sample to see how true it is. I just went through this when learning versaworks

edit out of gamut colors for Versaworks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T51dNGCT78&t=1m53s

Last edited:

Signs4Realtors

I would first try to convert your spot to process in illustrator prior to exporting

I converted the Pantone 321C in Illustrator to CMYK and it converted it correctly. When I loaded the file into Versaworks it loaded fine with no Spot Color translation to incorrect values like before.

What is the difference between selecting a Pantone 321C color and converting it to CMYK versus just doing it the way I've always done it which is to just type in the CMYK values that Exit Realty provided in their specifications? I'm assuming it will produce the same quality result that they are requiring correct?

Attachments

• ExitColorRequirements.jpg
    ExitColorRequirements.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 306
Pantone 321 C should be an achievable color for most CMYK digital printers, assuming that the media profile is accurately built and representative of the behavior of your print system.

I checked the predictive dE 2000 for a custom profile on the Latex 360 for that color (Pantone 321 C) on 3M IJ40C media, and the dE value is 0.6. Delta E values of less than 1.0 are effectively imperceptible to human vision. I also am including 2D and 3D gamut views for the 3M media that shows the location of Pantone 321 C in the gamut.

Attachments

• P321c.JPG
    P321c.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 255
  • 2Dview.JPG
    2Dview.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 3Dview.JPG
    3Dview.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 275

oksigns

I converted the Pantone 321C in Illustrator to CMYK and it converted it correctly. When I loaded the file into Versaworks it loaded fine with no Spot Color translation to incorrect values like before.

What is the difference between selecting a Pantone 321C color and converting it to CMYK versus just doing it the way I've always done it which is to just type in the CMYK values that Exit Realty provided in their specifications? I'm assuming it will produce the same quality result that they are requiring correct?

You are, by hand, selecting the closest CMYK value to that Pantone chip versus letting Versaworks calculate the CMYK value.