Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help "uninstalling" Flexi 19

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by buggyjr12, May 1, 2020.

1. buggyjr12

buggyjr12 Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, so I need some help. I downloaded a trial version of Flexi 19 and installed it on Vista (I know now that it isn't compatible but at the time I was told it was).

I also know that my computer is old but this one only runs my Flexi and my printer and has been working flawlessly (!) since circa 2009. Why fix it if it ain't broken?

Anyway, I ran the installer and Flexi 19 appeared to install without a hitch. But, when I tried to launch it nothing happened. It simply didn't do anything. Double-click on the icon, nothing.

I did notice though that as soon as it finished my Flexi files "refreshed" and stopped showing previews. I just have gray boxes with purple "F's" in them now.

It was after this that I did some digging and made a few phone calls and realized (contrary to what I was told previously) that it was incompatible.

Here's the problem: I can't uninstall it. My best guess is that since it isn't compatible it didn't install correctly (completely?) and therefore can't be uninstalled.

When I go to control panel / uninstall a program and highlight it and hit "uninstall" I get the error codes shown in the first two attachments.

When I go to the SAi folder and just try to delete the folder I get the error message in the third attachment.

I called Flexi and they told me that there's no way to back-door an uninstall and that this was a Windows issue and wished me luck.

Oh, and an other thing. I tried a System Restore but lucky me installed this exactly two days BEFORE my oldest restore point.

Any help?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. jimdtg

jimdtg Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Some places in earth
    Do you want to uninstall currently version and reinstall it?

3. netsol

netsol Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    buggyjr12
    we still, sometimes use the windows installer cleanup tool
    microsoft tells us it is unsafe and shouldn't be used, but we have had very good luck with it hundreds of times
    microsoft developed it because certain progrsms (microsoft office!) were an absolute horror to cleanly uninstall, or have features work in a new version

it will remove every reference to flexi 19 from registry and hopefully leave everything else intact

4. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    If you are feeling lucky, see if Windows has been setting restore points and maybe try a rollback to the one right before the Flexi install (if there is one there).

5. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    This exactly why you need to bak up your system before installing new software. Or if you have done a full backup and incremental since that time, you should be able to go back.

Acronis or any imaging software is good for saving images of complete system before installing new software or major updates! JM02c

6. netsol

netsol Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    i may want to append my answer
    start>run>msconfig
    services\hide all microsoft services\disable all
    apply, reboot when prompted

this stops EVERYTHING NOT MICROSOFT FROM STARTING
    whatever pesky flexi service is giving that error will be disabled
    do your uninstall (it's unconscionable that SAI couldn't tell you this, but i didn't look closely enough the first time either)
    do your uninstall, then
    start>run>msconfig
    normal startup>apply>reboot

i can no longer say microsoft thinks of everything, but theybdo have workarounds for common problems. fexi has something starting as a service and system doesn't have rights to shut it doen during the uninstall

7. buggyjr12

buggyjr12 Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the reply but this didn't work. I still get the exact same error messages.

I'm a little scared to try this. I did some research and it sounds like this might be a "scorched Earth" approach, i.e. it'll wipe EVERYTHING associated with Flexi off of my system. I don't want to mess up the version I'm currently using, I just want to get rid of the half-installed 19.

8. netsol

netsol Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    this should be harmless
    the change is only temporary
    it's just a clean boot, first thing flexi should have suggested
    you will just be letting yheir uninstaller do it's job

9. buggyjr12

buggyjr12 Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Update: Problem solved!

Since there was no uninstaller in the Flexi 19 folder (along with a few other things that weren't there that should've been) I decided to re-download the installer and re-install it hoping to then be able to uninstall it cleanly. It worked. Not only did the uninstaller show up in the folder but, voila(!), the program launched and DOES work on Vista!

I'm guessing something went wrong during the initial install and it just didn't finish for some reason.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who took the time to offer help!

• Like Like x 1