• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help...want To Order A Computer

signs2trade

I Have Been Very Fortunate For 8 Years To Have At My Beckon Call A Friend Who Is An I.t. Guru. Never Has He Charged Me...but I Want To Do This On My Own (with Help From Signs 101)without Bothering Him.
I Want To Order A Computer For One More Design Station That Will Be Dedicated To Designing Wraps....i Need Lots Of Horse Power....... My Designer Will Be Working Over The Network Alot. Im Not Computer Literate When It Comes To Putting Everything Together. I Would Order It From Dell.
A Recipe For This Computer Is What Im Looking For.
Thank You
Keith

D

DARLAK

what he said plus multiple small-fast hard drives setup in RAID 5 - simply a must for speed

ChiknNutz

Likely don't need a RAID 5 config since it's already on a network. I'd recommend RAID 0 for sheer speed IF it's connected to a reliable network OR the better option is probably just a single SAS 10K or 15K (RPM) hard drive...say around 74GB.

Sabre

Everybody seems to be pushing you on the right track. I'm not a fan of the Dell branded boxes for my own reasons (which aren't up for debate... a la thread highjack), but it's what's inside that counts.

You might want to check in with your IT guy, though. If you've trusted him for 8 years on everything you've done and now you go buy a new rig without mentioning it he might get a little offended. Especially if you give him a call with some issues down the road as you'd quickly grow tired of the Dell support.

B-RadG

RAM IS A MUST!!!
I am running vista now and it is a little quirky but im gettin it down.
and try for a high rpm hard drive like 7200, that will speed you up.

Replicator

Vista Sucks . . . Build your own box . . . doubt you'll be able to have them build one with XP.

Maybe you'd better call your IT guy after all . . . !

bullcrew

Intel Quad core q6600 G0
Asus or abit ip35 pro board
Geforce 8800 gts/ultra whatever they are fast unless you want to go quadro fx (nvidia)
PC P&C power supply silencer 750 quad
2 or 4 drives sata 3 or 10000rpms in raid 0 (1 standalone in case as back up with a full operating system on it)
4gbs OCZ ram 4;4;4;15 @ 2.1 v with a 1;1 ratio

Take this info to a tech and he can get you a price. Do it local and not ordered that way you have someone to help incase of an ER with it.

XP for operating system and have him turn on the 3gb switch in the boot.ini file for PS it helps alot.

eforer

You don't need to spend big bucks on a video card. High performance, pricey video cards are geared toward gamers who need a lot of power for real time 3d performance. Just buy the cheapest Nvidia based PCI express video card you can get, and make sure the DVI plug on it is DVI-I if you are still in the stone age (like me) and want to run 2 CRT based monitors.

For around $1000.00 in parts you can build a monster. If you want a good parts list for a system etc. PM me. Building your own box is easy, don't waste your money on a Dell etc.

And yes, Vista sucks.

ChiknNutz

Here is one that I configured at Newegg.com...haven't bought it, but put it in a Wish List for future reference. I might suggest using SAS drives for superior performance, but the cost is quite a bit higher for less storage room.

Attachments

• RIP Station.pdf
    41 KB · Views: 146

bullcrew

You don't need to spend big bucks on a video card. High performance, pricey video cards are geared toward gamers who need a lot of power for real time 3d performance. Just buy the cheapest Nvidia based PCI express video card you can get, and make sure the DVI plug on it is DVI-I if you are still in the stone age (like me) and want to run 2 CRT based monitors.

For around $1000.00 in parts you can build a monster. If you want a good parts list for a system etc. PM me. Building your own box is easy, don't waste your money on a Dell etc.

And yes, Vista sucks.
For the price of $275 for an 8800 Uh yeah Id say do the 8800.
btw: dont go less than 256mb on the card... PS will get the white hairy lines of doom going through images on the screen. I went 256 and when I come real close to a pic or a fully layered file It chokes. Im looking for a 512 or an 8800 now. I had a quadro FX on my last comp and I can attest they arefaster as well as stable. If I could get the samedeal on a quad I would.