• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help when printing spot colors!!

graphix28

Hey guys, I'm printing in versaworks and recently upgraded to the newest version.. but now when I'm printing spot colors, the gradients do not read and print very dull.. what am I doing wrong?? A simple black to white turns out pretty much all gray. Thanks so much for any help.. this has me frustrated!

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I have not had any issues recently...as have not upgraded to most current version. My gradients still working fine. Did you notice any settings changed in your profiles that you utilize for printing???? Its possible something you did defaulted to a stock roland setting....ive had that happen before.

graphix28

That's exactly what I'm thinking but I tried a few different settings and still not reading the gradients.. I don't recommend upgrading! haha. this has me confused, thanks for responding

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
what software are you generating the artwork in? I know from Illustrator I choose Postscript Level 3 and gradient compatibility for particularly vexing ones...

graphix28

I am using illustrator cs.. not sure how to chose Postscript Level 3 and gradient compatibility ? I use to print gradients all the time in an older version of versaworks that did read the spot colors in them

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
If you save as .eps....you have a couple options there. Look for Gradient compatibility and switch it on...or check the box. at the bottom...you have postscript level 2 or 3. Try using the level 3. It might help....it does sound more like a VS problem and not Illy.
Also...check some of the more obscure settings in VS...like rendering intent for RGB and CMYK...etc. could be something funky going on there as well.

graphix28

I use roland spot colors.. it's wierd how I use to be able to print spot colors in gradients until I upgraded.. I guess I could remove the program and reinstall my old version since I have the disk..??

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Yeah....best advice is to do that. I use PMS colors...not roland and typically just go with the RGB or CMYK values to go thru the roland. we have really good results using the values like that. VS doesnt pickup on PMS colors unless you program them I guess. I dont know if there is an uninstall or downgrade option for the software.