Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help with a possible purchase...

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Kottwitz-Graphics, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Kottwitz-Graphics

Kottwitz-Graphics Very Active Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Ridgely, MD
    I have a friend that owns an Epson Stylus Pro 4900 printer, that has been sitting for a long while (think years). Right now, it is a catch all for miscellaneous papers that he sits on it. I asked him if he would consider selling it, and he said he would think about it, but doesn't have a price.

So, a printer like that, that has been sitting for a while, what would need to be replaced? I figured it would need all new ink (11 colors). Would I need to replace heads and lines, or could they be cleaned out?

I have no idea about any of this, so bear with me... What would I be looking at to get it back running, and what would be a fair price to offer for the printer?

Tags:
  2. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    It would make for a good boat anchor.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    If you want a sign printer, I don't recommend an Epson. But that thing will be an expensive fix.

4. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Free or have him pay you to take it away. Going to cost you a thousand bucks in ink just to find out if it's a boat anchor or not. I'd rather put the money towards something with a warranty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kottwitz-Graphics

Kottwitz-Graphics Very Active Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Ridgely, MD
    Part of the reason that I'm interested in this is at one time he used to print on a Stahl transfer paper for tee shirts (the Inktra line). I have a couple, and they are great, I love the feel of them. I was interested in looking at adding this service to my customer offerings.

6. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    This right here. While I'm not too shabby with being handy, I've never really had a good track record with used equipment. I know from experience, my printers have never been happy with just sitting.

7. Jun Lanon

Jun Lanon Member

Oct 9, 2018
    California