• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need help with a possible purchase...

Kottwitz-Graphics

I have a friend that owns an Epson Stylus Pro 4900 printer, that has been sitting for a long while (think years). Right now, it is a catch all for miscellaneous papers that he sits on it. I asked him if he would consider selling it, and he said he would think about it, but doesn't have a price.

So, a printer like that, that has been sitting for a while, what would need to be replaced? I figured it would need all new ink (11 colors). Would I need to replace heads and lines, or could they be cleaned out?

I have no idea about any of this, so bear with me... What would I be looking at to get it back running, and what would be a fair price to offer for the printer?

ams

If you want a sign printer, I don't recommend an Epson. But that thing will be an expensive fix.

rjssigns

Free or have him pay you to take it away. Going to cost you a thousand bucks in ink just to find out if it's a boat anchor or not. I'd rather put the money towards something with a warranty.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Part of the reason that I'm interested in this is at one time he used to print on a Stahl transfer paper for tee shirts (the Inktra line). I have a couple, and they are great, I love the feel of them. I was interested in looking at adding this service to my customer offerings.

WildWestDesigns

Free or have him pay you to take it away. Going to cost you a thousand bucks in ink just to find out if it's a boat anchor or not. I'd rather put the money towards something with a warranty.

This right here. While I'm not too shabby with being handy, I've never really had a good track record with used equipment. I know from experience, my printers have never been happy with just sitting.

Jun Lanon

I have a friend that owns an Epson Stylus Pro 4900 printer, that has been sitting for a long while (think years). Right now, it is a catch all for miscellaneous papers that he sits on it. I asked him if he would consider selling it, and he said he would think about it, but doesn't have a price.

So, a printer like that, that has been sitting for a while, what would need to be replaced? I figured it would need all new ink (11 colors). Would I need to replace heads and lines, or could they be cleaned out?

I have no idea about any of this, so bear with me... What would I be looking at to get it back running, and what would be a fair price to offer for the printer?