• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Need help with finishing welded pan / tray sign

River Wilde

Aluminum Edge Interior.jpeg Aluminum Edge Outside.jpeg Aluminum Edge Interior.jpeg Aluminum Edge Outside.jpeg

Hello All - This is my first post. I have always found good information on this site and now finally have a question. I am trying to learn how to efficiently make a welded aluminum sign with a return. I have attached a sign that I removed that needs to be matched. Does anyone know of videos or PDF's that may show this. While I have made some already, getting it to line up has been trying. Do people weld and then trim route? Is there a lot of sanding going on? Are signcrafters very proficient and get it to line without problem. Thanks in advance - Flint

Last edited:

2B

How we do welding.

• Have the flat trim already bent to the desired radius before start welding
  • High QTY, use a JIG for easier alignment
  • Low QTY, Use 2 people if you are bending as welding.
  • Use a grinder to flush / smooth the edges
Looking close at you images, the edge trim was welded and then the face was cut, guessing plasma by the slanted lines, then a grinder was used, to flush and chamfer the edge as shown

River Wilde

How we do welding.

• Have the flat trim already bent to the desired radius before start welding
  • High QTY, use a JIG for easier alignment
  • Low QTY, Use 2 people if you are bending as welding.
  • Use a grinder to flush / smooth the edges
Looking close at you images, the edge trim was welded and then the face was cut, guessing plasma by the slanted lines, then a grinder was used, to flush and chamfer the edge as shown

Thanks for the reply.