Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Need help with finishing welded pan / tray sign

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by River Wilde, Aug 13, 2018.

1. River Wilde

River Wilde New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Savannah, GA USA
    Aluminum Edge Interior.jpeg Aluminum Edge Outside.jpeg Aluminum Edge Interior.jpeg Aluminum Edge Outside.jpeg

Hello All - This is my first post. I have always found good information on this site and now finally have a question. I am trying to learn how to efficiently make a welded aluminum sign with a return. I have attached a sign that I removed that needs to be matched. Does anyone know of videos or PDF's that may show this. While I have made some already, getting it to line up has been trying. Do people weld and then trim route? Is there a lot of sanding going on? Are signcrafters very proficient and get it to line without problem. Thanks in advance - Flint

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Tags:
  2. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    How we do welding.

• Have the flat trim already bent to the desired radius before start welding
    • High QTY, use a JIG for easier alignment
    • Low QTY, Use 2 people if you are bending as welding.
    • Use a grinder to flush / smooth the edges
    Looking close at you images, the edge trim was welded and then the face was cut, guessing plasma by the slanted lines, then a grinder was used, to flush and chamfer the edge as shown

3. River Wilde

River Wilde New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Savannah, GA USA

Thanks for the reply.