• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help With Idea

blufftonsignguy

I am working on a project and was hoping to find a little help fro someone here who may have some experience with edge lit led signs. I am wanting to make a clear acrylic sign that would be wall mounted with stand-offs. I have found a track made for this type of application and receives the led lighting. My biggest questing would be the engraving or etching of the acrylic. I do not have a way to engrave or etch, so I was thinking sandblasting would give the same effect. Would that be the case or am I going down the wrong road? I am attaching a picture to give an idea of what I am doing.

Thanks ahead for any help!!

Attachments

• Acrylic edge lighting.jpg
    Acrylic edge lighting.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 268

henryz

It looks like etched vinyl, but you can achieve this by sand blasting or laser etching. I would not route if you have a lot of area to fill and you will get some swirl marks. The standoffs look like Outwater plastics led ones. If you are not illuminating all 4 edges seal the others with chrome vinyl to trap the light it will help illuminate you graphics better.

blufftonsignguy

Awesome tips. The acrylic would be clear and have blue led lights in it. So I would have to match the led's in the stand-offs to pull that one off.

Thank you for your advice

AKwrapguy

Just throwing ideas at a wall here, what if you applied a frosted material to it? This way you don't have to worry about the mess of sandblasting it?