Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help With Idea

Discussion in 'LEDs and Neon' started by blufftonsignguy, Feb 15, 2017.

1. blufftonsignguy

blufftonsignguy Member

Dec 8, 2012
    bluffton sc
    I am working on a project and was hoping to find a little help fro someone here who may have some experience with edge lit led signs. I am wanting to make a clear acrylic sign that would be wall mounted with stand-offs. I have found a track made for this type of application and receives the led lighting. My biggest questing would be the engraving or etching of the acrylic. I do not have a way to engrave or etch, so I was thinking sandblasting would give the same effect. Would that be the case or am I going down the wrong road? I am attaching a picture to give an idea of what I am doing.

Thanks ahead for any help!!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. henryz

henryz Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    It looks like etched vinyl, but you can achieve this by sand blasting or laser etching. I would not route if you have a lot of area to fill and you will get some swirl marks. The standoffs look like Outwater plastics led ones. If you are not illuminating all 4 edges seal the others with chrome vinyl to trap the light it will help illuminate you graphics better.

3. blufftonsignguy

blufftonsignguy Member

Dec 8, 2012
    bluffton sc
    Awesome tips. The acrylic would be clear and have blue led lights in it. So I would have to match the led's in the stand-offs to pull that one off.

Thank you for your advice

4. studio 440

studio 440 Member

Jul 19, 2010
    cali
    • Like Like x 2
  5. AKwrapguy

AKwrapguy Active Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Anchorage, AK
    Just throwing ideas at a wall here, what if you applied a frosted material to it? This way you don't have to worry about the mess of sandblasting it?