• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with my HP 335 voltage being over 240v

BlackQuillSigns

I am working on setting up my printer and have my voltage at 246 at the moment, HP allows range from 200v-240v (cannot exeed 240v). Was hoping to get any other people who have had this issue and see what you guys used to get the voltage down. HP has suggested getting a Buck & Boost transformer, but wanted to get any other options that would allow me to get this down easier than running the whole transformer route.

Thank you all in advanced.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Please note I am not a licensed electrician, but I do install HP Latex printers for a living and have run into this situation before. Any electrical work should be done by a qualified licensed electrician.

If you have a 3 phase electrical service you might be able to get lower voltage by moving the breaker to other positions in the circuit breaker box. If that doesn't work or if you don't have 3 phase service you will need a Buck/Boost Step-Down Transformer. In your situation it looks like you would need something like the ones at the link below.

An electrician would have to hard wire this one in.
https://www.larsonelectronics.com/p...46v-primary-220v-secondary-22-88-amps-50-60hz

This one is pre-wired with plugs so it should be plug and play.
https://www.larsonelectronics.com/p...r-248v-primary-220v-secondary-20-amps-50-60hz

netsol

HP does this to us all the time
they subscribe to the "lower the voltage in the town" theory" as opposed to allowing a row of taps to adjust for variations in voltage

if you search, there are other threads on this same topic on signs101
SOME TYPE OF transformer with taps to adjust the voltage will be necessary

IF YOU ARE IN A COMMERCIAL BUILDING this capability may already exist, inside a stepdown transformer.
chris is correct,, in that an electrician will need to answer this for you.

if yours is a free standing building (not multi-tennant commercial) the buck boost transformer will probably be the best option

BlackQuillSigns

Please note I am not a licensed electrician, but I do install HP Latex printers for a living and have run into this situation before. Any electrical work should be done by a qualified licensed electrician.

If you have a 3 phase electrical service you might be able to get lower voltage by moving the breaker to other positions in the circuit breaker box. If that doesn't work or if you don't have 3 phase service you will need a Buck/Boost Step-Down Transformer. In your situation it looks like you would need something like the ones at the link below.

An electrician would have to hard wire this one in.
https://www.larsonelectronics.com/p...46v-primary-220v-secondary-22-88-amps-50-60hz

This one is pre-wired with plugs so it should be plug and play.
https://www.larsonelectronics.com/p...r-248v-primary-220v-secondary-20-amps-50-60hz
Thank you, yes a licensed electrician is doing all the work, I dont want to do anything wrong with this machine.

The HP representative I have been working with just emailed me and told me that we can do the buck boost or a voltage regulator. Have you heard of this and if so is there one youd recommend for this application?

amw

Longtime Members
I am working on setting up my printer and have my voltage at 246 at the moment, HP allows range from 200v-240v (cannot exeed 240v). Was hoping to get any other people who have had this issue and see what you guys used to get the voltage down. HP has suggested getting a Buck & Boost transformer, but wanted to get any other options that would allow me to get this down easier than running the whole transformer route.

Thank you all in advanced.
I will say you should call a licensed electrician to do this for you.

I went through this a few years ago. A buck booster is the easiest and fastest way to get it done.
The link above is a great company to get it from.

Having said all that they are easy to install if you are handy, understand electrical wiring, and can read a wiring diagram.
I did it twice, works perfectly. These are the buck boosters I used.
You could pretty shock the heck out of yourself, kill, or damage wiring or equipment....so call an electrician.

PXL_20230426_182801332.jpg

netsol

Thank you, yes a licensed electrician is doing all the work, I dont want to do anything wrong with this machine.

The HP representative I have been working with just emailed me and told me that we can do the buck boost or a voltage regulator. Have you heard of this and if so is there one youd recommend for this application?
either will be perfectly fine
this should not be a big deal, but, hp complicates a simple matter.
either method is fine

netsol

my only point was IN A COMMERCIAL LOCATION there may be a multitapped stepdown transformer

even a skilled end user should not change tap positions on a transformer that effects multiple businesses
our electricity fluctuates enough, all on it's own