Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with my reds

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by dirttoo, Jan 16, 2014.

1. dirttoo

dirttoo Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Illinois
    I have a new Mimaki CJV30-100. I design with Flexi Pro 10. When I use Flexi's rip or Rasterlink rip my reds are orange. Even using R-255 G-0 B-0 it still prints orange. Mimaki says draw with Illustrator and rip with Rasterlink. I don't have Illustrator and I don't want to learn a new program If I don't have to. Any Suggestions?

Tags:
  2. SignBurst PCs

SignBurst PCs Very Active Member

I doubt that this is an issue with your design program.

This sounds like a profile issue. You need to find (or make) good profiles for your RIP/printer/media.

Reds (along with a few other colors) are hard with the wrong profiles.

3. LittleSnakey

LittleSnakey Member

Jan 12, 2008
    try
    R167
    G25
    B48

4. dirttoo

dirttoo Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Illinois
    Thanks I will try that tomorrow.

Wouldn't R-255
    G-0
    B-0 be redder than anything?

5. dirttoo

dirttoo Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Illinois
    I would like to learn how to make a profile that would work. Where can I read how?

6. dirttoo

dirttoo Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Illinois
    I tried that.
    Printed a very nice ORANGE.
    I need help.
    What kind of place could I call to do this for me?

7. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    Why don't you try and design in CMYK and see what it does.

8. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    With almost clockwork regularity someone drifts into these waters complaining of the seeming inability to print their very own concept of red.

These pleas for color guidance invariably produce others citing their secret RGB or CMYK formula for their own favorite red. They produce these color combinations as if they're disclosing a formula for turning lead into gold.

Unfortunately, any specific formula for some color or another most likely isn't transferable from one printing environment to another. A specific color composition that works for you may or may not work for someone else in different circumstances.

Reds are not difficult to produce. Custom profiles are not necessary, or even desirable in most cases**. I love to say this,m it makes the coloristas, lurching through what passes for their lives, foam at the mouth. Rather a single decent profile, proper setting of your rendering intents, and an actual understanding of your equipment and what you're doing will produce a far better red than all of the custom profiles and secret formulas extant.

The intent of a profile is to match some external environment or another to the output of a printer, not to yield good reds or good anything else.

9. signguyms

signguyms Member

Apr 7, 2013
    USA
    The sign shop I worked at before, I ran a JV3 with SS2 inks and ended up making a red using the color mixer try selecting the HSV and use H 353, V 100 and S 100. I used a standard 3M profile (720x720) bidirectional. I was a good rich red for that printer but not so much for the Roland I use now.

10. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    r 255, g 0, b 0.
    CMYK has never given me a decent red or black. I design strictly in rgb unless I am sending out business card files to be printed at a paper house. RGB seems to be poison for those guys.

11. dirttoo

dirttoo Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Illinois
    I used that same rgb thinking that would be the reddest possible. I was pm'd that I was using magenta not red. Well my pure magenta was still orange.

12. growler

growler Member

Apr 20, 2010
    NZ
    What rip? what is your rip setup like for dealing with vector and raster, what intents and profiles, all of these can effect your colours.

your rip even though your app is saying 100m/100y/6c etc may well be replacing it too 60m/100y or whatever.

I would 99% say its your rip and setup with its colour handling.