Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help With Router and Sign Foam

Discussion in 'CNC Routing & Laser Cutting' started by Stonehouse, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Stonehouse

Stonehouse Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Hi,

Can Someone give me an idea what spindle speed to route sign foam with?

Thanks.

Tags:
  2. Dennis Raap

Dennis Raap Active Member

Oct 5, 2003
    USA
    Sign Foam cuts easy I use 19,000 rpm and feed at 250 ipm

3. openwood

openwood Member

Nov 21, 2003
    sign foam on router

I agree with Dennis 19,000 Spindle speed,I use a feed rate as high as 440 ipm when cutting foam.some times will use a finish cut to clean up mill marks when using a longer bit.Foam by far is the eaisest to rout.
    Hi Dennis, have not chated with you lately.the remodel is done in the interior,and I have started our largest job ever.We are BUSY,I have work through april.Hope things are going well for you also.I can post some pics of the remodel,but I didn't think that it would interest anybody.

Brian :unclesam:

4. Dennis Raap

Dennis Raap Active Member

Oct 5, 2003
    USA
    Hi Brian next time I route Sign Foam I am going to run at your suggested speed I have not run much Sign Foam for the past year with the economy being sluggish around here it has been hard to sell any dimensional signs lately.

I looked at the photos that you posted that is a huge job keep us informed as you progress.

I bet you are glad that the remodel is done I know I am when ever I finish a remodel job. :biggrin:

5. Stonehouse

Stonehouse Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Thanks Dennis and Openwood for your suggestions.

6. Stonehouse

Stonehouse Member

Nov 29, 2004
    I'm new at CNC routing and sign making in general. How would you mount a 4x8x1 1/2 " signfoam. does it need a plywood backer between two posts?

7. Bryan Quebodeaux

Bryan Quebodeaux New Member

Sep 30, 2003
    Although some use MDO Plywood as a backer, I prefer to use alumalite. I do not paint the back side of HDU, I clean it well and use Lord adhesive to glue the two together, then set a few stainless screws from behind. As for routing speeds, I will run it as fast as my chip vac will pick it up. Some jobs will allow a full 600 ipm. on cleanouts and V carving, some will not. I keep my spindle @ 19,000 rpm.

8. Stonehouse

Stonehouse Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Thank you Bryan for the info.

9. Stonehouse

Stonehouse Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Here's another question. Does anyone prefer priming signfoam before routing or after?
    How about masking the surface somehow? Thanks.

10. Stonehouse

Stonehouse Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Where can i find a variety of v-groove bits, not just 60 and 90 deg. bits?

11. Bryan Quebodeaux

Bryan Quebodeaux New Member

Sep 30, 2003
    I always prime and paint after routing except when I "V" carve inwards. Here is my procedure:
    1) Rout job
    2) Wash with water/garden hose and let dry
    3) Brush prime
    4) 2 coats of primer sprayed
    5) 2 coats finish

If it's a sign that is placed distantly, I will not prime, just use finish coat. I use nothing but quality exterior grade latex satin paint. I paint all my raised copy with a 3" foam roller.

If the sign has any "v" carvings inward, I will practically finish the sign, cover carving area with paint mask, then re-align sign onto the router and carve through the paint mask into the foam. Apply primer and finish coat into carving and remove paint mask.

As for router bits, I use Gerber V carve bits. I mostly use 60, 90, 120 & 150 degree bits. I know they have a few more sizes, check there website for complete listings.
    Good Luck!