• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help!

BPotter

I have a GSP Sprint II that will cut the vinyl all the way through sometimes and hardly cut at all other times on the same lettering. Any ideas of how to fix or what the problem maybe? I have checked the Z Axis and the Theta Axis both are set right. I have also cleaned it and oiled along with change the cutter. As of right now I am stumped and open to suggestions.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
what software are you using??

i had this issue with my super sprint years ago....found out it was the file itself.....ended up resaving the complete artwork to a separate file and sending again...that worked for me

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It there a platen strip that may be worn out?

Sprints use a rubber coated drum for the cutting.

Your problem could be related to the x-axis drum either being out of round (not likely) or the drum support shaft and bearings they ride on being worn. You can also get uneven depth cutting from defective blades or resharpened blades without enough remaining depth to them. Other possibilities are:

• missing teeth on the theta axis belt
  • a loss of the home position on the theta axis
  • pieces of vinyl debris stuck to the lifter bar causing uneven lifting and lowering of the blade holder
  • worn out lifter forks in the toolhead
  • lack of a theta washer for the blade holder
  • lack of thorough cleaning and lubrication
  • vinyl hold down bails not holding the vinyl down well enough so that the vinyl lifts off of the drum during x-axis movement resulting in a deeper cut

Jillbeans

That's a pretty thorough list, Fred.
I seem to have experienced all of the above.
Usually when this happens it's when I finally give up my old blade and put in a new 45°.
It literally takes me two months of cutting/d!cking around with the weights until I get that perfect depth with my 4E.
Replacing the Theta belt, though tricky, really helped things.
But my issue with new blades and proper cutting depth has never quite resolved itself.
I reallllllly need a new plotter.
Love....Jill

BPotter

Thanks Fred. I will try a couple of them and see what happens. And Jill I can relate to the new plotter. The one I am using is 1987.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
One other thing you might check is the type of blade you have installed. The standard blade for most cutting with your plotter is a 30 degree blade. 45 degree and 60 degree blades are also available for special situations and thicker materials. If you are using a blade other than a 30 degree, it will tend to cut deeper.