• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help

txhotrod

I just installed a very large sign it was about 50 feet in length and was built out of MDO signboard. It was painted black with latex paint, then we installed the vinyl on top of it. I just received a call that the letters are coming off the board, it has been cold and raining almost every day since the install. with some freezing temps. Does anybody have any ideas on how to save this sign. Should I have done anything else? If anybody has any ideas PLEASE let me know. Thanks in advance for any help,
Joe

for the price of materials i would have chosen an aluminum composite material (dibond, nupoly, etc) over MDO

but that doesnt help you at teh moment. my questions would be was the latex well cured? i really do not like applying vinyl over latex paint and have had problems with some brands if it is a freshly painted surface, enamel would have been my choice if i was forced to use a product other than mentioned above.

if the vinyl was applied wet this may be a factor as well.

depending on the artwork i would probably consider tracing the vinyl and painting the sign at this point if that is not an option i would replace with aluminum composite material

txhotrod

The vinyl was applied dry and the paint was pretty well cured almost a week and half. Next time I know not to use latex...Is there some type of sealer I could put on it??

ABPGraphics

A heat gun may be your best bet.......I have lettered a very rough piece of raw wood with waterbased latex paint.....did not want to adhere but once I took the heatgun to each letter it helped a bunch!!!! the sign is still doing fine 3 months later

jscarl

I would try the heat gun, and also run a small wallpaper roller lightly so as not to scratch the vinyl. Good luck.:peace!:

Pat Whatley

What kind of latex? A lot of latex house paint has a mildew preventative in it that keeps the vinyl from adhering. You may be able to get it to adhere by applying heat but don't count on it. The last time that happened to me I literally watched a 12" logo fall off the sign after we'd spent 20 minutes heating and pressing it.

I'm taking it that you built, painted, and lettered the sign in your shop so the current outside temp shouldn't matter.

Hate to say it but I think you're about to have to strip the lettering off (if it's not all off already) sand and repaint the sign. If it's just black I have been ABSOLUTELY pleased with the results from using Rustoleum Industrial Enamels from Lowes.

Good luck!

onesource

Trace letters and paint! or re-paint with an oilbase clear or matching color.
Good luck we've all had paint learning experiences

txhotrod

Ok guys thanks for all the suggestions, it was high quality house paint so it looks like I am painting this one. But first I will give it a try with a heat gun. Should I seal the edges of the graphic with something? Before I give up? and paint?

J Hill Designs

yeah, latex isn't the best option for background in my opinion...had success spraying 3m super 777 before trying to heat the letters on once...the extra adhesive really helped, but do a test first

i really dont think sealing the edges will help.

personally at this point i would be really concerned about the longevity of this sign and even if you can get the vinyl to lay down i would still be concerned for the future and worried that the client got the amount of time out of the sign that they expect...i would paint the graphics or replace the project because of this.

i know either way it is going to hurt but word of mouth can make you or break you and if they client is unhappy most of the time they will tell many more people than if they are happy.

besides that in my opinion replacing it or properly repairing it is the right thing to do unless this is a donation or there are some other special circumstances we are unaware of but if the client paid full price they deserve a properly professionally constructed product and not a temporary fix.