• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need info on odd shaped cabinet sign

signmeup

Here is a pic of the sign shape. I altered the logo to obscure the company. It is 66" wide and mounts to a wall so it's single sided.

What I would like to know is how should this be constructed. I don't want to make it but I want to know what to ask/look for when I'm trying to find a company to do it for me. I don't want to get stuck with something that isn't going to work just because I don't know what to look for in this type of sign.

Would led's be a good choice or should it be fluorecent? Would it just be treated like a big channel letter?

Any idea of what this would cost/sell for would be great too.

Attachments

• Security.jpg
    Security.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 152
agree with above because of the shape now that that i think about it i'd probably lamp it depending on how the measurements worked out..i wouldnt use led/s myself and if the math just doesnt work out neon..just like i would a channel letter...easy, when i saw your name and odd shape i was thinking this is going to be a doozy...this is very straight forward.

signmeup

It's 59"h x 66"w but the size could be reduced a smidge if need be. I've never heard of "neon Lexan". What is it? Or are you reccomending neon to light the thing?

neon to illuminate it. lexan face...to add to my above post, if you have the budget neon is how i would go, the only reason i wouldnt go that direction would be if the cost was an issue.

signmeup

agree with above because of the shape now that that i think about it i'd probably lamp it depending on how the measurements worked out..i wouldnt use led/s myself and if the math just doesnt work out neon..just like i would a channel letter...easy, when i saw your name and odd shape i was thinking this is going to be a doozy...this is very straight forward.
It would be a doozy for me. Are you sayin' I should just make it m'self? If I had plans I'm quite capable of most any fabrication work but I have no experience with making "channel letters". Up here we have a Provincial inspector for this type of stuff that we pay $250 per visit for him to approve/condemn whatever we've come up with so it is possible to fabricate these things in a small shop. Just not sure it's advisable/worthwhile timewise. Maybe my Signs101 friends can help guide me through it?

I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone within 500 miles of here(or more) that does neon. Is there an acceptable alternative?

Last edited:
what i meant was that you come up with some pretty amazing projects so when you said odd shape i was thinking it was going to be something very difficult.

i know ppl who fabricate channel letters with nothing more than hand tools. yes it is possible. is there going to be some challenges along the way...most probably. can someone that does this on a daily basis do it faster, more efficiently..most definitely.

signmeup

Dan, I can think of quite a few different ways to make this thing. Not sure if any of them are the right way though and I don't really like re-inventing the wheel. Maybe This should be in the premium section so I can ask for some serious construction tips? The "can" part seems pretty straight forward but the part I don't know about is the face. I envision it like the lid of a box like I've seen on channel letters but I don't know about the materials to make this. As I recall it was an aluminum flange with a plastic molding that held the two together?

I've had some bad experiences with the big sign shops in the nearest city making electrical signs for me so this is why I'm trying to "educate" myself a little on this topic.

the simplest way to construct the face in my opinion is just like a channel letter. cut the lexan face, apply trim cap and slap that baby onto the cabinet.

i know not too long ago there was a thread that relates a little about how ppl attach trim cap. myself i have always done it with a wood topped table, turn the lexan upside down, every few inches i put a nail in the table to hold the trimcap tight to the edge of the lexan while the adhesive dries (i have always used weld on products, there is one that is the consistency of water (i cna't remember the product numbers off the top of my head..i'm getting old) that gently melts the cap to the lexan and then another that is the consistency of a mid weight glue that i have always applied a consistent bead along the interior gap where the two join).

the cabinet,,if you have access to a channel letter take a look at the backside and you will understand the construction methods used. i think that would help you tremendously versus a long description..i know i dont have a photo of the backside of a letter here or i'd send you one.

ggsigns

This is a lighted cabinet and should be made as such.. Use .080 back, cut to shape, weld on .063 returns, rout edges smooth, prime and paint. Lexan face is OK but I wouldn't use jewelite on this size piece. You need to fabricate aluminum retainers to the shape of the cabinet. Make it min 7" deep and use fluorescent lamps mounted close to the back. Sounds like a lot of work but is actually cheaper than a neon lit channel letter can and will last forever. Lamps not so long but they are easy to replace.

signmeup

And it all went Greek....
(This why I don't make these things.) Trim cap? What the hell is trim cap? :Big Laugh

Shovelhead

Trip cap is adhered to the perimeter of the channel face...it then slips onto the can and secured with TEC screws.

Service Sign Co

Here's a side view of self contained channel letters, ask your distributor for the right glue for polycarbonate. You can also get wider trim cap if 1'' seems to small.

Last edited:

signmeup

Thanks for the diagram. Here is a pic of where this thing would go.

Attachments

• Dormer.jpg
    Dormer.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 136