• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need input on which kind of Computer is the best to use for Designing.

Jazz

Please help! Would like input, feedback, and ideas for what I should look into getting for the top designers in our office. I am no IT computer wizard but I do know that what our IT team bought for us to use - It is just crap. They have no clue what designers should be equipped with for high-quality design PC.
Our Design program is Adobe Illustrator in case that matters. :):cool:

Looking for to hearing what kind of PC you use!

damonCA21

Anything is fine as long as it has plenty of memory, storage space and a good graphics card. It doesn't have to be mega fancy. Illustrator doesn't use many resources anyway

gnubler

This isn't computer specific, but I highly recommend not purchasing systems from New Egg or Amazon. Went through hell with both of them in the past year buying computers and they're off my list for good now.

Jazz

This is what I have and it's always crashing and lagging... Mind you I am bad at having lots of web browsers open at the same time. And 3 -5 working design files open in AI. LOL Maybe I'm the problem and it's not my PC. :rolleyes:

Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700T @ 1.40GHz 1.39 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Jazz

There's an old saying.
This is a PEBKAC error

Your computer is fine. Right click the task bar, open task manager. See how much ram is in use next time it happens. Probably out of ram.
LOL, That's great!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Realistically the specs on that are more than plenty for Illustrator. One you did not mention was storage - if for some reason that modern of a PC was built with an old school spinning hard drive then yeah that would make it feel sluggish. I'd venture to guess that it has an SSD though.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There's an old saying.
This is a PEBKAC error

Your computer is fine. Right click the task bar, open task manager. See how much ram is in use next time it happens. Probably out of ram.
We call it a, "Loose nut behind the keyboard."

Realistically the specs on that are more than plenty for Illustrator. One you did not mention was storage - if for some reason that modern of a PC was built with an old school spinning hard drive then yeah that would make it feel sluggish. I'd venture to guess that it has an SSD though.

I agree. Something has to be not setup properly or some setting is off. Is this the age old issue of plugging the HDMI cable into the integrated graphics port on the main board and not the graphics card maybe?

gnubler

Seems like a post like this comes up every few months. Same question, what kind of computer do I need?
Maybe it makes sense with how fast technology changes.
My main computer is a Dell and I'm in the midst of updating all my computers to Dell.
I have 32Gb of RAM and also primarily use Illustrator and it's pretty zippy.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
tell your IT guys you need a screaming fast gaming computer - it will have all the memory, storage, and graphics processors that we need for our work... Really a gaming machine and a high-end graphics machine have the same requirements for basic hardware. Our IT guys didn't get it at first either.
That's what I have at home. Drives my daughter crazy that I have a gaming computer but I don't play games on it.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
If you get files like some of the ones I've had to deal with, close the layers panel in Illustrator! Had to buy a new graphics card to handle one job.
Still have times when I need to quit everything to not have the rip crash, but this is a very aged machine, and Iook forward to updating it (and buying a raft of new software, to work with new hardware, and compensate for inherent faults in the wetware).

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
You're gonna upgrade form a powerbook!
You'll lose the user replaceable battery.

damonCA21

It can also depend a lot on you OS. My design PCs run on Win7 as it is the most efficient I have found. Anything after this is full of bloatware and loads of crap running you don't need. Win10 in particular is awful! It seems designed to just watch photos of cats falling over on youtube, and is terrible for trying to do any actual work. on

Stacey K

I like making signs
Here's what I did at my last job. Find the quietest, dorkiest IT guy you have and make friends with him. After a while he will load any program on your computer and get you whatever you need. Not to mention, you will make a new friend you never expected to make and he will be interesting and fun to hang out with at work. It's a win-win situation.

However, make sure you delete all the illegal stuff on your computer before he gets promoted to a different job because the next IT guy is going to get VERY upset and literally lock your computer down so hard you can barely check your email without asking.