• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need insight on possible flatbed purchase...

Aspect

We are currently printing and cutting labels on a roll fed mimaki cutter (halfcut). This makes production time fairly long.

I will print on roll to roll printers and simply die cut the labels through the paper.

I have never ran a flatbed cutter and I was wondering what you guys think may be my best option.

I don't really have a need for cutting much more than the self adhesive vinyl and paper backing.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

-KC

CMI

I'm not as experienced in this as many of the other people here, but my opinion would be that if all you're doing is labels, you're better off adding another roll-fed cutter than upgrading to a flatbed. We currently have a CET flatbed printer as well as two roll fed printers and have been looking at flatbed cutters for several years and, with our volume, haven't been able to justify the cost. If you're looking at a full 4'x8' machine, I believe the cheapest we found was around $85000. Even the Mimaki flatbeds I've seen, which I think are 3'x4' or 4'x5' are in the $30000 range. Personally, I'd rather have and extra roll-fed machine or two for a lot less and have the added benefit of at least one working machine if one goes down. Again, just my 2 cents and I'd appreciate others opinions as well.

rjssigns

If the bulk of your business is labels get a dedicated label press that handles the whole process from start to finish. The fastest label printers use a laser to "die cut" whatever shape you can dream up. Everything is done for you, printing, laminating, cutting, stripping and rewinding.

Top level machines use 3000" rolls of stock and run several meters per second. Punching out a million units a day is no problem. If you don't need such a rig there are systems that take up less room than a kitchen table.

My recommendation is to go to Graph Expo. They will have what you need.