Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need install help.... above my head. Literally.

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by formanek, Aug 9, 2011.

1. formanek

formanek Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Okay. Return customer with the NDSU Bison bus. Interior is being customized. Now he requested I skin the ceiling of the bus. I used a test piece and it stuck great. My question is how the hell to install it? My thoughts are to start at one end and only roll out 3-4' at a time and tape the roll to the ceiling so I don't have 14' of material trying to fall all the time. Any ideas or experience?:help

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. mikey-Oh

mikey-Oh Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2009
    okc
    Panel and magnets if you can?

3. formanek

formanek Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Damn thing is aluminum. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

4. JKADesigns

JKADesigns Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Just my opinion... never done this before, but when ever I've done drywall I just made T-posts that fit just right under whatever ceiling I was doing. I can see you doing that here. I thought maybe you should do it in several different pieces, but then you'd have to align it, and that would be a pain in the ***. Your best bet might be just to profile cut a few pieces of plywood to the contour of the bus ceiling and screw posts to those, and use those to support your vinyl as you're installing it. Think a huge squeegee, in three or four pieces maybe?

5. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    I'd first try to convince the client to go with something very simple and forgiving. If that doesn't work, I'd make the prints match the size of the roof panels. Use two or three people if possible for lining up the image. Start from the centre of the bus and work your way out. Use a good vinyl with stretch/shrink capabilities to help "cheat" the alignment if need be. And charge accordingly. My 2 cents. Let's see some finished photos.

6. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Looks like a tough one to hang.
    I agree with using smaller panels to match the breaks in the roof, but alignment between them will be tricky.
    Maybe get some waste material and install one or two to see what issues are going to show up before you trash the real prints.
    Good luck and charge a lot.

Worst case get someone with a lift or crane to bring the front up high enough to do a single panel vertical install......
    wayne k
    guam usa

7. formanek

formanek Member

Jun 10, 2010
    hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

8. SignStudent

SignStudent Member

Jun 12, 2010
    TN
    The solution seems simple enough to me...just turn the bus upside down.

:Big Laugh

9. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Works on expensive imports.

Attached Files:

10. mikey-Oh

Apr 16, 2009
    okc
    Big fan of completed work here

11. formanek

formanek Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I will for sure post some pics of the finished inside. Hope to hit it this weekend. I am still welding up the seats for the customer.

Here is a pic of the outside when I completed it last fall. They love their Bison. :notworthy:

Attached Files:

12. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Try Michael Angelo's approach.... lay on your back. :Big Laugh

Actually, I've wallpapered ceilings in my time and that's no easy task. I don't think you need to make smaller widths, but an extra pair of hands will make it work. Once you get it going and you're sure it's straight, you should be fine.

13. formanek

formanek Member

Jun 10, 2010
    So I spent about 8 hours putting the skin on the ceiling of Thundar the Bison Bus. I thought about the process a lot and finally came up with 8 panels. Gravity sucked and only two hands means my neck and back are killing me. I have much more respect for Michelangelo. All I know is that cost is going to be twice as much as a normal skin I complete. One other thing.... never again. :toasting:

Attached Files:

14. Alti-Plotter

Alti-Plotter Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Very nice job, thank you for showing it.

15. GypsyGraphics

GypsyGraphics Major Contributor

Mar 19, 2009
    wow, nice job on a very intimidating install!

i'd have found a way to use sawhorse type ladders, plywood sheets and a creeper, so i could do the job on my back.
    8 hours working over my head would drive me nuts.

i'm impressed!

16. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    my best guess would be make each panel the same as the existing cut/rivets. then tape it in place with backer. hinge tape it in the center of the rook. then hinge it by peeling the front all the way to the center of the roof and work out from the center to the outside. then turnaround and install the other half work from center out again.

turned out great.

17. mikey-Oh

Apr 16, 2009
    okc
    Nice, thanks for the process!

18. Mason

Mason Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Boston
    Nice work man!

19. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

20. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    End result looks very good.
    Smart move splitting it down the center.

wayne k
    guam usa