• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need installation tips

ChicagoGraphics

Does anyone know if there is a adhesive that would stick small aluminum signs 10"x14" onto a brick wall and some pillars that are made what looks like pebbles. Something I can buy from Home Depot or one of the other home improvement stores. The owner of the building does not want any nail holes in his building.

Thanks in advance

threeputt

Liquid nails will leave a bigger mess (when the sign is inevitably removed)than an easily "fillable" hole. Probably not what the owner would like.

I would speak to the owner about the use of self-anchoring bolts in the brick. Very simple, vandal proof, and the resultant look is very good.

Come removal time, fill the hole with a sealant and paint if necessary to match.

visual800

scuff the back of the signs and put quarter size silicone squirts in all 4 corners, duct tape in place and remove tape after 1 hour. it will last and it will not fall off

Liquid nails is crap for signage and after a few seasons it will fail. there no need to worry about a 2 part epoxy, gorilla glue or whatever else out there you think about using silicone is the way to go

Pat Whatley

If he doesn't want nails in it he sure as hell doesn't want liquid nails stuck all over it. Liquid nails and silicone are horrendous when the signs are removed down the road.

ChicagoGraphics

I spoke to the owner again today and he say's no holes what so ever, I thought of the 3M foam tape but at $90.00 a roll that's out of the question, but the silicone sounds good to me, is there any special kind I should get.

Thanks for all the replys

skyhigh

I spoke to the owner again today and he say's no holes what so ever, I thought of the 3M foam tape but at $90.00 a roll that's out of the question, but the silicone sounds good to me, is there any special kind I should get.

Thanks for all the replys

you don't use the whole roll of VHB on one sign!!! That logic is like saying, a roll of Oracal 751 cost $180 bucks, so you're not buying the roll to letter one trailer. You're a sign shop......you will use the rest down the road (plus it will last longer than a partially used tube of silicone.

If you don't feel comfortable telling the owner he's an A-hole over a couple very easily patched holes, then use the silicone as others have mentioned.

For future reference..... next time you're by the mall or plaza that had a sign removed, take some pictures of ones that left holes, and one where they have big gobs of silicone or Liquid Nails residue left behind.

ChicagoGraphics

I know you don't use a full roll of VHB tape on 1 sign, here's the thing I don't do installations of this nature, I use independent installers I been using for years but my customer want's me to install them, my guess is price. If I bought the VHB tape not only would it last years but the next tim i'd use it it would probably not stick from being to old.

skyhigh

that stuff is great for a bunch of projects.

- pole pocket banners
- attaching metal pieces together
- individual letters on the wall
- screen door glass, after the last clip stripped out.

many more uses than duct tape.....bigger and better projects.

buy the roll....thank me later.

ps. the 1/2 inch roll is only 54 bucks
cheapo. jk

Pat Whatley

You can get very short rolls or even tabs of VBH at Home Depot.

wayne k
guam usa

What he said. $6. Keep in mind that the very nature of foam tape is that the longer it's on there the better it sticks. Signs that feel like they're barely held will be impossible to remove in a couple of days. The foam slowly conforms to the surfaces and sticks to every little nook and cranny.

Most big auto parts stores also carry it as auto trim tape.

DizzyMarkus

Auto parts stores carry the tape in several roll and width sizes. Very reasonible in price as well. It hold panels on cars so should hold well for your application.

Markus

GVP

Much as I love VHB tape, for the surfaces mentioned I agree that silicone is the way to go. Don't forget to scuff the back of the sign and as mentioned above, make sure it's 100% silicone.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Use both.

Get a roll of VHB tape and a tube of silicone from Home Depot. Be sure to wipe any loose debris and dirt off the install surface.

For the brick: Put a 1" square of tape in each corner of the sign and 1" squares centered between those. Put a few dollops of the silicone on the mortar joints of the brick if you or the customer are concerned about appearances after removal. That will minimize the amount of silicone that winds up on the brick. Silicone is easy to clean out of mortar - not so much off of brick. VHB tape is pressure sensitive and has to 'wet out' to gain maximum adhesion, so apply pressure for about 5 seconds to each area where there is tape. I believe 3M actually recommends about 20-30 seconds, but 5 will be sufficient.

For the pebble surface: You didn't say how large the aggregate is, but use the same process as above but try to use a silicone that matches the pebble (white or almond assumably). If its a rough uneven surface and not a small, smooth pebble, use duct tape as Bruce said. I would do the pebbled areas first and then go back and remove the duct tape after doing the brick areas.

Tifosi

Loctite Powergrab

I like the Loctite PowerGrab for the small signs on concrete. We have been doing a LOT of signs for a number of parking garages in town and we love the instant grab of this product. It holds tight after just a few seconds and with the smaller signs there is no need to tape them while it dries. It also dries clear. He have mounted signs up to 3'x4' with just this adhesive and walked away after just 10 seconds of pressure with no problems at all!