• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need major help please!

pigsoooee

I am a screenprinter and graphic designer from arkansas and I was recently given a plotting cutter. I was wanting to make a sign for my screen printing business and I was needing some major help on materials. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type/brand of vinyl need to get. Also, what type of sign metal I need to get and where to get it.
Thanks in advance.

mikey-Oh

Howdy pigsoooee!

What kinda signage are you looking to make? One-color cut vinyl? Maybe even multicolour? How big? Probably outdoor....

My crazy self'd probably screen print the sign itself, but that's almost an "artsy" way out...

Custom_Grafx

sorry to be the first to say it - but that's a very difficult question/s to answer without more info.

not a 100% sure on it, but might even upset a couple of people here.

anyway, putting that aside - you need to provide a couple more points of info before anyone here can really help you. Where is it going? how long do you want it to last? how big is it? how are you going to affix it? the list goes on.

are you looking at getting into sign making as well as your screen printing and graphic design? have you had any previous experience? with cut vinyl at all?

ChicagoGraphics

If your a screen printer as you say you are, I would think you would already know what type of materials you would use. And it wouldn't be textiles!!

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding form and people.

Be a good idea to tell us a bit about what kinda work ya do maybe even show us your design for your new sign since screen printing one sign does not make sense, maybe we can help make it look better for you with some ideas, and materials to use better... just a thought

pigsoooee

I was in no way trying to offend anyone and if I have I am sorry. But, this is the reason I started this thread in the newbie forum. I have been starting a screen printing business on the side, have a bachelors degree in graphic design, and run a rotoflex printing press as a full time job. I came to this forum to get advice, so please if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I have no previous experience in sign making. The sign I would like to make is going to be set up by a highway coming into my town to help advertise my screen printing business. Its probably gonna be around 4'x5'. I will weld up a frame for it with two posts and two cross bars. I would like for it to last several years which is why I want to make it on metal. Otherwhise I would just use treated wood and paint it on. I would like to make it three colors(red white n blue) but if one color would be alot easier to learn I'll start with black. If any of you need any other info just let me know. Thanks

mikey-Oh

Ha, I earned my Bachelor's in GD graphic design a few years ago! Depending on the size of your billboard, you might want to hit up Merrit Graphics(a merchant member here) for some exemplary pricing and service!

phototec

please post a copy of your sign design

I was in no way trying to offend anyone and if I have I am sorry. But, this is the reason I started this thread in the newbie forum. I have been starting a screen printing business on the side, have a bachelors degree in graphic design, and run a rotoflex printing press as a full time job. I came to this forum to get advice, so please if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I have no previous experience in sign making. The sign I would like to make is going to be set up by a highway coming into my town to help advertise my screen printing business. Its probably gonna be around 4'x5'. I will weld up a frame for it with two posts and two cross bars. I would like for it to last several years which is why I want to make it on metal. Otherwhise I would just use treated wood and paint it on. I would like to make it three colors(red white n blue) but if one color would be alot easier to learn I'll start with black. If any of you need any other info just let me know. Thanks

So with a bachelors degree in graphic design, you must have and know how to use design software like Illustrator or Corel, if so, please post a copy of your sign design for the 4'x5' sign. Also, tell us what model and size plotter you have so we can offer more help!

:Welcome:

Pat Whatley

Personally I'd use an 1/8" aluminum composite panel for it (sold under several names....polymetal, dibond) The material has a solid plastic core with a thin aluminum skin on both sides. I like using polymetal instead of a thin aluminum because the plastic core keeps it from developing a wavy "oil can" appearance. If you can't round up a supplier for it use a regular aluminum sheet at least .063 thick.

I'd attach the sign panels to the frame with VHB tape so that it wouldn't have visible fasteners. Some people don't trust that and would use sheet metal screws or pop rivets. Whatever you want to use will be okay.

Vinyl-wise I am a firm believer in Oracal 651. The colors are good, it's easy to work with, and it holds up really well. I buy it from Fellers (www.fellers.com). You can order it in 10 yard rolls. Make sure you ask them about free shipping.

Spend some serious time working on the design. You're going to have it out there for a while, spending a few extra hours making it look right is minimal compared to how long you're gonna have to live with it once you letter it. The vinyl itself is relatively cheap so don't be too worried about using more than one color. It takes a little longer but looks a lot better.

the only other advice I can offer is to fire Bobby Patrino.

pigsoooee

I work from the time I get up in the morning till the time I go to bed so I haven't had time to post a copy of my sign design. But, I will post the design, size, name and model of plotter this weekend. Thanks for all the info. Please keep it coming.
PS: We think Patrino is the best thing to happen to AR since Nolan Richardson!:thankyou: