• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Need material selection help for detailed logo

Blackhawk11

Hello All,

I am working on a 4'x8' outdoor sign. The logo in the attached picture is supposed to sit proud of the background by roughly 1/2". For scale, the 2 horizontal bars on either side are .5" tall and 21" long. The logo has 3 different colors that need to be painted. The background of the sign will be 1" thick HDU. Some of the detail in the tree gets down to only 1/8" wide in some spots. What would be the best material to use for this logo that can then be applied to the HDU?

I wanted to avoid starting out with 1-1/2" thick HDU and routing away that much material. My original idea was to cut the logo out of 1/2" thick HDU and mount it into a mating 1/16" deep pocket. My only concern with that was preventing the fine details from breaking before I get them glued into place. Other ideas were to use MDO or Extira. PVC and acrylic are options also, but I have no experience with them and the painting and bonding makes me nervous. I need this sign to last outdoors for 10 years.

logo_sample.JPG

visual800

I tell what I would do. Skip the HDU and use 1" thick PVC background and route all elements of yof .5" pvc and or .25" pvc and glue them to the 1" Your cost would be less expensive and the PVC glue will hold them forever. No mixing of materials no fuss. and NEVER mention MDO again lol

Prime everything with 2 part auto epoxy primer and then topcoat with BEHR satin ext latex, you will be good to go