Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Need material selection help for detailed logo

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Blackhawk11, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Blackhawk11

Blackhawk11 New Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Virginia
    Hello All,

I am working on a 4'x8' outdoor sign. The logo in the attached picture is supposed to sit proud of the background by roughly 1/2". For scale, the 2 horizontal bars on either side are .5" tall and 21" long. The logo has 3 different colors that need to be painted. The background of the sign will be 1" thick HDU. Some of the detail in the tree gets down to only 1/8" wide in some spots. What would be the best material to use for this logo that can then be applied to the HDU?

I wanted to avoid starting out with 1-1/2" thick HDU and routing away that much material. My original idea was to cut the logo out of 1/2" thick HDU and mount it into a mating 1/16" deep pocket. My only concern with that was preventing the fine details from breaking before I get them glued into place. Other ideas were to use MDO or Extira. PVC and acrylic are options also, but I have no experience with them and the painting and bonding makes me nervous. I need this sign to last outdoors for 10 years.

logo_sample.JPG

Tags:
  2. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I tell what I would do. Skip the HDU and use 1" thick PVC background and route all elements of yof .5" pvc and or .25" pvc and glue them to the 1" Your cost would be less expensive and the PVC glue will hold them forever. No mixing of materials no fuss. and NEVER mention MDO again lol

Prime everything with 2 part auto epoxy primer and then topcoat with BEHR satin ext latex, you will be good to go