• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need my truck lettered!

Mosh

So this guy calls me and needs his tuck lettered. I tell him to e-mail me what he wants and I can make him up some designs. His e-mail reads "I need my truck lettered, when can you look at my doors" So I e-mail back asking what he wants on his truck and what colors...his rely is "the truck is red, I'd like blue and white letters"

SO WHAT DO YOU WANT IT TO SAY????? AAAAAARRRRRR!!!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Ask him how long it would take to bring his truck down to your shop if he drove 80mph from 80 miles away....

wayne k
guam usa

So this guy calls me and needs his tuck lettered. I tell him to e-mail me what he wants and I can make him up some designs. His e-mail reads "I need my truck lettered, when can you look at my doors" So I e-mail back asking what he wants on his truck and what colors...his rely is "the truck is red, I'd like blue and white letters"

SO WHAT DO YOU WANT IT TO SAY????? AAAAAARRRRRR!!!

It inevitably almost always takes more than one email to answer one simple question like that. I had a similar situation last week. It took upwards of five emails to get my point across to a customer. And to think, some people in this business that I know of prefer to do business through email rather than over the phone. I hate it. 80% of people don't know how to use proper punctuation and grammar and how to convey their message through email. And the ones that make an entire paragraph into a run on sentence are my favorites.

WildWestDesigns

It inevitably almost always takes more than one email to answer one simple question like that. I had a similar situation last week. It took upwards of five emails to get my point across to a customer. And to think, some people in this business that I know of prefer to do business through email rather than over the phone. I hate it. 80% of people don't know how to use proper punctuation and grammar and how to convey their message through email. And the ones that make an entire paragraph into a run on sentence are my favorites.

I had a similar scenario with a woman wanting a pattern digitized. It took 3 emails before I got out of her what this pattern was going on. Of course, after digitizing it, she sends me a picture of someone else's digitizing that wasn't like the original logo and that's what she wanted me to match.

Graphix Guru

So, you guys do designs without securing a deposit from the customer first? That puts the customer in the driver's seat... then they'll take your design & shop it around for a lower price, won't they?

I just give a ballpark price based on what they want done, then require a deposit to show them a design. It minimizes my time spent & weeds out the tirekickers from the real customers. Works for me.

visual800

I do designs without money down if it means possible getting a job. BUT in this case of dealing with a dumbass off the bat I would quote him about $400 and get rid of him without so much as even caring what went on it

WildWestDesigns

So, you guys do designs without securing a deposit from the customer first? That puts the customer in the driver's seat... then they'll take your design & shop it around for a lower price, won't they?

I just give a ballpark price based on what they want done, then require a deposit to show them a design. It minimizes my time spent & weeds out the tirekickers from the real customers. Works for me.

Embroidery digitizing works a little bit differently. There are 2 common accepted methods of calculating a cost of a pattern.

1. Per stitch count (method I use, more accurately reflects time involved in a pattern, but not in all instances, generally the one that benefits both customers and the digitizer)

2. Flat rate

In both instances, you could actually get paid less for a lot more work. It truly doesn't matter if I work 5 minutes or 5 hrs on a pattern. The end price is the same if the stitch count is the same in both patterns.

J

john1

I have learned my lesson of not getting a deposit up front, EVEN with repeat customers who you think are "good for it".

Had a guy i do designs for every now and then just get stiffed after the customer decided we didn't do anything as far as designing goes but insert text and vector art. So, they said we will only pay $34 and that is it since you guys didn't do anything. The $34 came from a guy doing websites who said "a vectorization should only cost $34" and they ran with it.

50% down or you get nothing but a free quote. Anyone who is a respectable client will understand this and the rest can kiss it :)

Deaton Design

I tell you what, seems like customers, although we need them dearly, are getting more stupid by the day, especially the women, no offense to the signgals on here.
Ive had couple in the last while that drove me crazy with colors. They want it to match their walls, or their furniture, or their carpet, or their dogs or cats, etc. etc. Then they end up going back to the original design I sent them. Its no wonder I have anxiety...