• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need new printer head or cap top or?

hailo

Hi:
I'm not sure what needs to be done or replaced but here is my issue. I have a versacamm sp 300v and I have overspray on just the cyan color...see picture below:

We did several head cleanings and that was the result. Please see test print below:

We tried cleaning the heads manually and still got the same result. When we looked at the cap tops they were full of cyan ink all around it. The heads seem to be releasing alot of cyan ink. See picture below...do I need a head replacement? a cap top replacement? I'm confused and I really need your help...please!

We thought it was static but it only happens with Cyan.

Attachments

• IMG_4026 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4026 (Large).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4028 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4028 (Large).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4008 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4008 (Large).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited by a moderator:

GTSTech_1

CapTop looks worn, I'd replace that and the damper (cheapest part 1st)........if that doesn't solve it could be time for a head. How many shots are on the head? Are you using 3rd party ink? I have seen heads at 2 billion shots overspray when using 3rd party inks, replaced with OEM and overspray was reduced and in come case went away entirely.

My .02

GTSTech_1

hailo

I am not sure how many shots are on the head, we were told it was new as we bought it used. We are mildly busy with maybe a job or two a month. We are using 3rd party ink (inkworx?)

rjssigns

3rd party inks will cause no end of grief. I speak from experience, very expensive experience. Go back to Roland inks. Look up my posts on the subject. No b.s. all facts that my tech can back up.

jhanson

Not all third party inks are equals. Solvent chemistry is a total ***** and incompatible solvents are probably the cause of 80% of most third party ink issues; the remainder are mostly due to bad pigments/stabilization issues (AKA quality control). Always check MSDS sheets before buying a third party ink, and if in doubt, flush like crazy before introducing a new ink into your machine.

rjssigns

Not all third party inks are equals. Solvent chemistry is a total ***** and incompatible solvents are probably the cause of 80% of most third party ink issues; the remainder are mostly due to bad pigments/stabilization issues (AKA quality control). Always check MSDS sheets before buying a third party ink, and if in doubt, flush like crazy before introducing a new ink into your machine.

I have no desire to try and decipher an MSDS. Besides which the MSDS is not required to list proprietary ingredients nor percentages of such. It also does not list the size of the pigment particles in pico-meters which is essential not only to the longevity of the heads but has a huge effect on gamut and density.

When I see a 3rd party ink that will warranty heads 100% and/or come to my rescue when their miracle product effs up your printer then you may get my attention.

3rd party ink people have no skin in the game. When you have a problem they can hide behind a bunch of excuses just like mine did. He would say: "Ya know your supposed to do a powerful head clean everyday". or the infamous: "Those dampers should be replaced every 2 to 3 months". Followed with: Pump and captop lines need to be replaced frequently". WTF! After the printer quit for the third time in a week he stopped making service calls and returning my calls. The service calls were $125 an hour and he was in no hurry to finish either.

Fired him and got my new tech who got me back with OEM ink and haven't replaced a damper, captops or lines because of the ink.

Not meant to be a rant. Just want people to realize what can go wrong.

Hwy

We had the same problem on our SP300V today.
I went in this order:

1. cleaned encoder strip - no change
2. replaced wipers and cap top for BLK/CYN head - no change
3. replaced damper - no change
4. replaced BLK/CYN head- worked and prints perfect.