Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need opinion on decision to expand business to printing...

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by klevrgrafix, Oct 16, 2020 at 9:47 AM.

1. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    We know an installer that we do the vehicle graphics etc for and he apples them that was looking at getting a printer and asked me for advice.

instead of advice, I gave him the sheet of printed/cut graphics and a leftover roll of mask with a squeegee. Thought I’d let him try just the weed/mask and see how he got on. Then gave him a run through of the rip, materials, laminating and all the time it entails. Just a general overview of the learning curve he would need to go through.

Even gave him a little run through of setting up a print/cut job.

Safe to say he doesn’t want a printer/laminator/cutter any time soon. He makes/saves more money sending the graphics to us and applying them himself.

• Like Like x 1
  2. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    While you are outsourcing I would put pen to paper and figure out when your ROI gets to the purchase point, if ever so you know when it will be time to really invest and get your own printer. Let's be honest sometimes to not have the hassle of all of the extra expenditures that comes with equipment is a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Here ya go........ if you can muster up 10 hours worth of printed materials a week, you'd be able to double that in no time with all the stuff you claim you're turning away, plus what you could just sell by people knowing you now do it. That's at least 1/2 your week producing printed media. Once you have a handle on layout, sending to rip and print, then laminating, you're gonna have a full week in. You're already working another job. You need to decide if you really wanna do it or just dabble. Dabbling would be about 2 or 3 hours a week, presently. How serious are you ?? Once you bring all those costs in-house, you have total control over everything, except nut case customers, but that's still on you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Retro Rev

Retro Rev New Member

Oct 9, 2020
    Baltimore, MD
    I was in a similar position recently and was looking at the HP 365 Latex but in the end I ended up buying the Mimaki UV print & cut combo since it will save me some space, and be easier on my electric than the latex system. Plus I don't know how much additional moisture warm latex will add, but currently my office is in my basement and extra moisture in basements is generally a bad thing. I will admit that this is probably my 4th or 5th time at looking at digital machinery so it wasn't the first time I was researching systems.