• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need opinion on decision to expand business to printing...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here ya go........ if you can muster up 10 hours worth of printed materials a week, you'd be able to double that in no time with all the stuff you claim you're turning away, plus what you could just sell by people knowing you now do it. That's at least 1/2 your week producing printed media. Once you have a handle on layout, sending to rip and print, then laminating, you're gonna have a full week in. You're already working another job. You need to decide if you really wanna do it or just dabble. Dabbling would be about 2 or 3 hours a week, presently. How serious are you ?? Once you bring all those costs in-house, you have total control over everything, except nut case customers, but that's still on you.

Retro Graphics

I've been doing vinyl graphics (die-cut) for about 5 years now (locally and online) and I feel it's finally time to quit turning people away that are seeking printed products - I'm ready to add printing options to my list of services.

I'm torn between spending extra for new and having support/warranty, etc. or saving some money (who knows - Maybe it won't work out for me?) and buying something used since I'm just starting out. I've been researching for a couple months now and have realized that I should go the Latex route over Solvent, so I've been eyeballing the HP printers...

I found a 2012 model HP L26500 within 100 miles of me for (what seems to be a good price) of $1500. The seller states that it's in good working condition (sold as-is), decommissioned in June 2020 (ran great at that time), includes the feed & take-up rollers and has had 650,000 sq. ft printed so far.

Do you think this would be a good option for me to start with? Or should I look into lending/leasing options for a new machine, something like a HP 315 Print & Cut setup?

Thank you in advance!

I was in a similar position recently and was looking at the HP 365 Latex but in the end I ended up buying the Mimaki UV print & cut combo since it will save me some space, and be easier on my electric than the latex system. Plus I don't know how much additional moisture warm latex will add, but currently my office is in my basement and extra moisture in basements is generally a bad thing. I will admit that this is probably my 4th or 5th time at looking at digital machinery so it wasn't the first time I was researching systems.

Tone-Mark Creative

Old-School Sign Man living in the present
Not taking anything away from outsourcing, I still like my hand in the trade as the "sign maker." Much of my gear is old-school and so is really only meant for a lower volume trade, which at present I am okay with. (Ioline Classic-Vinyl/ Edge for die-cut/ HP for wide-format-Z 5xxx Series-Roland Rotary Engraver, etc.) I like designing something and printing it out. Perhaps it is being an old-school sign painter where we sold the job, stayed up all night painting and installed it in the morning. (yes, it really was like that.) Though I still hand-letter/ paint and love that part of the trade, its a tough sell unless the client specifically asks for it.

That being said, I still like "doing" the craft...like to see what I've designed, printed/ die-cut before I am ready to sell it to the customer; things look a lot different on a monitor than printed out; If nothing else, for dry run QC. Outsourcing is a way to go in lieu of a huge cash outlay for equipment that may not be supported in the coming years. This makes absolute sense. I feel sometimes like I am playing musical chairs with technology. Once the amount of business one is doing justifies it and one has decided to take the plunge, the best bet IMO so as not to be left holding the bag of obsolescence, is to "lease and upgrade."

Everyone has a story: Years ago I bought "used" a Roland CJ-500 with the understanding that it would be an easy conversion to Eco-Sol. Had I been on Signs 101 I could have found out that that solvents eat the old printer heads and my investment of $2500.00 was money thrown down the drain. A company called Better Banner did conversions and sold actual kits. ($800.00!!!) Lesson learned.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...get accustomed to designing for full-color work...

Pet peeve time. Autos are designed, dresses are designed, all manner of things are designed. Signs however are laid out. Now back to your regular round of amusing opinions.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Thank you for the insight! I've "applied" at Signs365 to give them a shot as well.

I think I've decided for now that I'm going to outsource with a wholesaler and, as you mentioned, get accustomed to designing for full-color work, learning the ropes for the contour cutting, etc.

I'm so glad that I made this post on here because I think it's saved me a ton of money, especially in not making a bad decision by purchasing an outdated printer.
My company is in Cleveland and we sell new and used Roland printers....also bigger UV equipment. If you are going to buy used, we can help you navigate by knowing the people and their equipment and whether or not it was properly taken care of. I also have some great wholesale customers in the Cleveland market I can introduce you to, but you can never go wrong with Signs 365 either. Even though you aren't entirely invested in the industry, feel free to reach out and we can do our best to help you out and possibly make a few bucks together.

gnubler

you have total control over everything, except nut case customers, but that's still on you.
And it's the nut cases who make me question why I'm even doing this sometimes.

Great thread. I remember reading this when I first started my business. Some of the posts have stuck in my mind all this time...thanks to the bot for the bump.

JBurton

Signtologist
Pet peeve time. Autos are designed, dresses are designed, all manner of things are designed. Signs however are laid out. Now back to your regular round of amusing opinions.
Wait a minute there. I'll let you get by with 'prints are laid out', but signs, true electrical signage involving multiple departments, those are designed. Text on a rectangle, that's laid out.

JBurton

Signtologist
Text on a rectangle is typesetting, not layout.... :popcorn:

burn-that70s-show.gif

richsweeney

For under 17k you can get a new hp. Go to a local bank, not a leasing company, You can pay it off in less than 4 years. If you buy a used one, do not buy from a sign shop, unless they can prove they did not use it much. We have a hp360 and 365 and have had very little trouble. I would not buy used unless you have a local tech that will work on it. We had a issue with our hp this year, and I spent about fixed $2200. For the parts and hours they spent, I think I got a really good deal. Remember your client is not going to pay you to work on your machine.

Johnny Best

The original poster from 2020 wanted to buy equipment to start a print company. He gave up that idea and now is a sign designer.

bcxprint420

Sign & Banner Xpress
In reading the posts from back a couple years ago in this thread, i about cried when i read someone suggest being a local wholesaler and sell retail like he was doing. Anyone born in the 70’s i hope you realize how out of bounds this kind of thing was. Those younger then that i figure we just didnt teach you well enough or something but you in my day could never be a supplier and a competitor at the same time. Its called UNETHICAL. Anyone my dad or myself found out was doing that we would cut them immediately and report them to the local paper company and they would be struggling to buy paper at all with the month. Hopefully i do not have to explain what is so wrong with this practice of retail and wholesale company. 4 over tried it for awhile and gave it up pretty quick.