• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need opinion: sp540 + laminator

bigben

Hi folks!

I'm currently looking my first printer/laminator. But due to the wold economic situation, I shop in the used products. :frustrated: I had a HP 42'' ps800 few months ago to learn about design, rip, pantone ajustment, etc. You know, something to get my feet wet. I've found a Roland sp540 and a [FONT=&quot] jet mounter JM54. both are about 8 month old and still on the first set of ink. Those are for sale from a guy who close his shop. He will give me a roll of vinyl and laminate. He's asking 20k$ (CND) + taxes. I know it's a high price, but I gess it have some room for negociation.

My questions are, what do you think of this ''deal''? What price sould I ask for? What do I need to check when I'll see it? Normaly, the dealer who sell the printer will deliver, install, ajust and give you a training. What sould I do in the case of a used printer? What questions I've forgot to ask? :banghead:

Thank you for your help.:toasting:

Ben :popcorn:
[/FONT]

D

Digitall

Hello, I don't feel that is a good deal at all. If you are going to pay almost full price you may as well buy from a reputable dealer and get the full warranty, and I am sure you can get him to throw in a roll of vinyl and lam.

Also if he is on his first set of ink, I would check with him and see if he even tried to work the market around you, competition, etc. Good Luck

bigben

Hello, I don't feel that is a good deal at all. If you are going to pay almost full price you may as well buy from a reputable dealer and get the full warranty, and I am sure you can get him to throw in a roll of vinyl and lam.

Also if he is on his first set of ink, I would check with him and see if he even tried to work the market around you, competition, etc. Good Luck

I know the price is high, but I thought to offer him between 13k and 15k (delivery and installation by a Roland tech included). And about the market around me, he is not in my area. He's like 150km (93 miles) from me.

Mainframe

Hey isn't 20 k Canadian like 10 k in US? if so Not a horrible deal for 2 pieces if they are as new as they say they are.

ChicagoGraphics

1 set of ink in 8 months is hard to belive, if it went through it's regular cleaning cycle that alone would have used up the inks. Unless Rolands don't self clean.

signpro

Manager
Rolands DO self clean, but not if you don't turn them on.

if that's close to the $10 US, it seems like a fair deal to me. just make sure to pull the cleaning records from the machine. you can see everytime it was cleaned, and make sure it was done regularily, or you could be replacing some parts due to neglect on his part. i like my SP540, so i'd say go for it if you want one, we've had great luck with ours for the past year.

bigben

Rolands DO self clean, but not if you don't turn them on.

if that's close to the $10 US, it seems like a fair deal to me. just make sure to pull the cleaning records from the machine. you can see everytime it was cleaned, and make sure it was done regularily, or you could be replacing some parts due to neglect on his part. i like my SP540, so i'd say go for it if you want one, we've had great luck with ours for the past year.

Do you mean 10k USDfor both machines? Because right now they ask 15k USD for both.

Can you tell me how to pull the cleaning report?

Should I pay a Roland tech for delivery/install/adjustment or can I figure it out myself?

What are the other things I should check?

Thanks all for your help!

signpro

Manager
i thought it was 15cad. sorry, well 15us isn't as great a deal. but not terrible. its like buying the printer, and getting a free LAM then.

the owners manual can walk you through pulling the records, so will internet. i don't have the info right in front of me. call one of your reps that sells rolands, i'm sure they will help you too. heck, roland tech will probably help as well. i called them once, and never asked for any registration info or anything from me, just solved my problem super quick!! i was impressed

Tim Aucoin

Just for reference... I purchased my (used) SP540v from a local dealer here in Calgary for $13K CDN (approx. $10K US). It came with full set of inks (440) and 2 rolls of 54" economy vinyl. It also came with 6 month full warranty. It was re-furbished with new heads, dampers, pinch rollers, etc... Working like a charm. I feel the price was extremely fair for what I got. I already had a hot/cold laminator and purchased a smaller cold laminator to compliment the printer (I'm lazy when it comes to changing rolls :noway: plus I had the budget)!!

BTW... signpro... how do I print the cleaning report?:help

Thanks!

GSSA-Russ

Cleaning report and Deal.

I am pretty sure you cannot pull the report that shows the cleaning. That is the Service Report available when the machine is in Service Mode.

What you can do is remove the front panel from around the key pad and take a look inside. you will see a sponge pad left of the print carriage, look at metal areas aroud it for large amounts of ink splashed around. Take a look below the print carriage and you will see the two print heads. Check to see if there is large buildup of ink or if they have been cleaned. These will help indicate if the machine has been cared for properly.

I would highly reccomend having an authorized Tech install and Calibrate the machine, also they can inspect and approve an extended warranty that you could purchase for added peace of mind. Not to mention they can pull the report you are looking for it will also include how many shots have been fired through the print heads.

bigben

thanks all for your help. I will check this onsite and see what price the seller will shoot me.

bigben

ok, today I've seen the printer and laminator. They are like brand new. I've checked the print heads and general look of the printer. Everything seems to be fine. The laminator doesn't have any chip or problems. No scratches, nothing... If I take it, the guy will help me to install it and do a basic training. We've talked for about 3 hours in is garage. I've learned alot today. In is price, he have two roll of regular vinyl, one roll of wrap vinyl, tree roll of lam, half roll of perforated film and other demo kit. The printer is 8 months old, they are on the second set of ink. And I already know the tech who installed it and will probably be willing to help me if I have any questions/problems. They sell the kit because of partnership problems.

So what do you think? They want 20k$ CND (about 15800$ USD) for everything. What price should I offer?

Thanks again for your help, opinion and feedback.

Ben

bigben

Someone? Can I have an opinion about this transaction(my last post)? Or should I keep searching?

Thanks!

Mainframe

I would rather have a VP540 & a big squeegee both new, I think 14000 for the sp & lam is a fair price for used, my opinion