• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need opinions on used models???

EMSbyDay

Hello,

I am very new and am only starting out very small scale and looking for an affordable cutter for making signs/banners, and vehicke graphics in my spare time. I'm not doing this full time but as a side job from home.

A local supply distributer is selling a couple of used model that I was hping to get opinions on.

the first is the Roland PNC-950 24" that they are asking $1,100 they also have the Roland CX-24 for $1300. Neither one comes with any software.

I had kind of set a limit of $1000 for a machine with software but there dosnt seem to be anything between the $400 China made ones and $2000+ new ones.

There's also someone selling a "Roland CAMM 24" cutter on a local buy/sell site for $750 but I'm wary of buying from just an individual with no support.

any help?

thank you

Kevin

EMSbyDay

Good point, does anyone know what software supports these units? Do they work with the "just use Corel" approach so many here seem to be supporting?

PS, sorry for all the typing mistakes above. I'm typing from a moving vehicle ( not driving)

ABCDecals

ABCDe-Cals
i am also looking for a vinyl printer/cutter. was checking on a roland color camm pc 600. used is $2200 is this to high?

high impact

ABC,

start a new thread, introduce yourself and ask your question - you should get a good hazing...er, I mean information that way. ;-)

Poconopete

i am also looking for a vinyl printer/cutter. was checking on a roland color camm pc 600. used is $2200 is this to high?
Welcome from PA.
Boat anchors are available new for much less.
Heads are around $700 for that machine. Lots of info in the archives on the pc600 & pc6000, mostly bad.

iSign

EMS, welcome aboard. I've read all the "just use Corel" posts for years, and they are usually tied to Roland equipment. I don't know the details, but I think there is more knowledge required, and possibly limitations on which Roland plotters, for the straight "cut from Corel" approach.

There is also a lot of talk about using "Co-Cut" which is a software that I believe would allow running any Roland plotter, and maybe most other plotters as well.

Are you already a Corel owner/user? How about Illustrator?

My personal opinion, even for hobby use... increase your budget a little, and look into new plotters. The tech support to learn to use one is minimal... but time is money & if you need a little help in the beginning... it might only be a little time with your tech support guy, that first week or 2... OR, it could be weeks or months of frustration on your own, and here posting about problems.. I've seen this too many times, while all my equipment has been making money the day I plug it in, because I buy new, and make sure I get some support with my purchase.

Graphtec has some software to cut from Illustrator, which I think is free with a plotter, and may also work with Corel. Graphtec plotters are as good as Roland (better in my opinion) and I think my CE1000-60 was under $2K almost 10 years ago, and still runs like new

ABC

iSign

ABC,

start a new thread, introduce yourself and ask your question - you should get a good hazing...er, I mean information that way. ;-)

oh yeah... I meant to say that in my post too! :thread
(but welcome aboard anyway... see ya in a new thread :Big Laugh)

chopper

the Roland's are good machines,
I wouldn't be afraid of them,
but if you check the classifieds here you may be able to find a machine that will fit your bill, and get the software to run it,
I just sold one of my plotters and some software a few months ago,
be patient something will turn up,. but if you can help it stay away from the Chinese cutters, also the software like sign warehouses lxi is fairly cheap, it is an oem version of flexi,( which will drive a roland and many other cutters) they have package deals on the cutters with the software, and most of the cutters they sell are re branded graphtech's
so they are good machines check out their link at the bottom of the page
(no I do not work for sign warehouse) //chopper

tmsigns

I just got a Signwarehouse Qe-60 w/package #4 for the price of Package #1. I am very pleased with the machine. It seems to be a work horse.

jscarl

EMS Welcome from mid Michigan. I used an old rowland camm-1 960 for years untill it just stoped one day. put it in the back to rest. Great workhorse. I would not be afraid. Had a deal cooking on a Summa D610 so i picked it up. Well satisfied with that also.