• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need pricing opinions..

ThatGriffGuy

I am moving to a new location and will be accepting larger jobs that I have been turning down for a few years now. I am solid on basic sign pricing and banners and such but as for lettering an entire vehicle with cut cast or wrapping a vehicle I am lost. I understand this is a sensitive subject and welcome replies via PM to keep the information off of the public forum. I have been installing commercial wraps for several years as a contract installer for a few other shops but want to offer this service at my new place as I will have room now. I own my current shop and utilities are tied in with my home account. I welcome advice on figuring overhead for the new location as well if you care to share your wisdom.

**I am asking for guidance as I refuse to just come up with a number and risk undercutting the market! I am not a newbie asking for a handout.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Instead of posting in the "General Chit Chat" section which everyone and anyone including their uncle can see and read around the world....... you might ask the admins to transfer this thread to the pricing category. It used to be ONLY members could see that and not lurkers or guests. When the new regime came in, that might've changed. One can post there with much more privacy.

Check out all of the categories available to you and try using them to your advantage. :thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Try PMing one of them. I doubt they're gonna respond to something this so minute.

ThatGriffGuy

Will do, thank you. I know this is a sensitive subject which is why I also added that PM’s would be fine as well. I’m not sure what is actually a private thread and what is not around here.

TimToad

For the overhead calculator and to gain valuable insight into a huge variety of actual pricing on various type projects, I strongly suggest a subscription to SignCraft magazine. They offer pricing tools that have been based on surveys done in multiple pricing levels across the country. They have an overhead worksheet that covers most of the expenses one should expect to use when calculating your overhead and shop rate. It comes inside a handy print or online version of the annual pricing guide they provide to each subscriber.

Every issue has a pricing/design workshop on a different type of sign, vehicle graphics, etc. project that features responses from 3 or 4 fellow craftspeople.

ThatGriffGuy

For the overhead calculator and to gain valuable insight into a huge variety of actual pricing on various type projects, I strongly suggest a subscription to SignCraft magazine....

Thank you! I will go abead and get a subscription started!

kcollinsdesign

Old member
It's easy. Direct costs (everything that goes into a project), plus "indeterminate costs" such as nuts, bolts, rags, thinner, etc., usually around 7% of direct costs, plus burdened labor (what it costs to pay employee plus insurance, benefits, payroll tax, workmans comp, etc.). Don't forget to pay yourself for any time you have in the project. That will give you your out-of-pocket expense. Now mark it up to cover your overhead and profit (usually around a 40% margin, i.e. if your costs total is $600.00, your sale price will be around $1000.00). You will need to figure out your overhead and profit to suit your business. Those are the most important numbers, because if you are not paying overhead and making a profit, you will not be in business long.