• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need product recommendations for "face mounted" images on curved clear plastic

koigal

I'm open to any ideas/product recommendations here - I have a roland versacamm (no white ink unfortunately) and I need to create a series of prints that will be mounted on the inside of a slightly curved piece of clear PET plastic. I'm guessing I need to print in reverse on some sort of clear mildly conformable vinyl and then apply some white vinyl with some clear adhesive backing to the back of the print - the mount the sandwiched clear/white vinyl piece to the back of the clear, curved plastic. Ideally the image shows up crisp and clear and the mounting isn't a nightmare...Any product suggestions - each print is about 22" square in size.

In the past we've had these done out of shop - printed directly on the clear plastic and then thermoformed to shape-but the pricing has shot up and so now I'm looking for alternatives that will allow me to apply a print we can do inhouse to the back of the already thermoformed piece of plastic.

Alternatively is there an optically clear adhesive that we could apply to the face of print done on standard white vinyl and mount it that way?

Thanks in advance for your help

-karen

koigal

not backlit

the plastic when finished isn't backlit - and we do need the print when viewed through the plastic to be opaque....

J Hill Designs

application would be a bit time consuming, but if the curve is slight like you say, should be doable with reverse print on cast clear with cast white overlay

koigal

any specific recommendations for either product (the clear or the white?) - my biggest concern is having the adhesive yellow over time - and I imagine a "wet mount" is out on this ...

Thanks again,
karen

Ben Carufel

Sorry for the super late follow up, but just found this thread doing a totally unrelated search.

For optimal quality, what you're describing would be best done via a product like Seal's OptiMount or OptiMount Ultra. You would want to get a print on a paper like FujiFlex (which is actually chemical impregnated thin plastic). From a LightJet or Chromira machine, then use the OptiMount to mount it to the plastic.

It's an extremely touchy process due to the static and dust issues.

Hopefully this helps someone later on...

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I sell a permanent/removable face mounting adhesive that is made for this application. All you do is apply this double sided optically clear adhesive to your print then install onto your other surface

Ben Carufel

I sell a permanent/removable face mounting adhesive that is made for this application. All you do is apply this double sided optically clear adhesive to your print then install onto your other surface

That sounds really interesting...we're currently using Seal OptiMount Ultra for our face mounting applications. I'd definitely be interested in trying a sample of your stuff if possible!

MikePro

interesting.
if i were to try, I would side with JHill's idea & reverse-print on cast clear & laminate with cast white vinyl & wet thermalform to the inside of the shape.
...wet thermalform being my fancy term for wet application with a heatgun & lotsa patience. :)

oh, and if you're concerned with the adhesive yellowing over time... then you should really be concerned with your formed plastic doing the same. And if it is treated to be protected from UV yellowing, then you're golden because this doubles as a protection for your print.