• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need reccomendation

BaBaboey31

My laptop died and I've been spending too much time on my PC in the basement = wife is bitching :)

I'm looking at the Surface Pro. What I'd like to have something I can use to trace images, and design different images for cutting, while sitting on the couch. Am I really going to need a wacom or something? Currently I scan images into my pc and use a tracing/scan tool, with OK results.

What recommendations do you guys have?

WildWestDesigns

My laptop died and I've been spending too much time on my PC in the basement = wife is bitching :)

I'm looking at the Surface Pro. What I'd like to have something I can use to trace images, and design different images for cutting, while sitting on the couch. Am I really going to need a wacom or something? Currently I scan images into my pc and use a tracing/scan tool, with OK results.

What recommendations do you guys have?

I prefer my Wacom Cintiq tablet (don't confuse this with their tablet range of their Intuos, Bamboo etc lineup). My dad has the Surface Pro. The Wacom tablet has the ability to use their other pens (I like the art pen and the air brush pen myself), but if all you plan on using is the regular stylus, probably going to be "six in one" for either one.

Although, I will admit, I'm a Cintiq junky, so take it for what it's worth.

Brink

I can't say one way or another for the surface pro because I don't have one. I do have a HP elitebook revolve 810. It has really nice specs for something so small. It's touch screen and you can use a stylus. The trouble with it though, is the fact that it's so small. I have done a few graphics jobs on it just messing around but I just can't see it very well. It's much easier for me to use my shop PC and a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet on the 46" screen. (maybe I'm spoiled) I'm sure that the Cintiq is very nice with being able to look at your pen over the work. I would personally recommend something a little bigger than the surface to do serious graphics work on.

WildWestDesigns

I can't say one way or another for the surface pro because I don't have one. I do have a HP elitebook revolve 810. It has really nice specs for something so small. It's touch screen and you can use a stylus. The trouble with it though, is the fact that it's so small. I have done a few graphics jobs on it just messing around but I just can't see it very well. It's much easier for me to use my shop PC and a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet on the 46" screen. (maybe I'm spoiled) I'm sure that the Cintiq is very nice with being able to look at your pen over the work. I would personally recommend something a little bigger than the surface to do serious graphics work on.

I agree, the size can be a plus, but it can also be a hindrance as mentioned above. The Cintiq Companion has about an 1" more then the Surface at about 13.3".

It doesn't compare to either my 21" or my 27" Cintiq as far as real estate goes, but it's on par with the 12WX Cintiq that I have.

The biggest thing is portability and that causes some sacrifices unfortunately.

Chasez

I used to use a Intuos Pro table with my surface pro 2 (tablet was sorta small) and hard to work with when its on the lap, but recently upgraded to the surface book, thing is fantastic... can do all tracing etc without the wacom, can just flip the screen around and draw then flip back around and start typing again.. or can just pull the screen off and use that. Haven't touched my wacom since I got it... and its powerful enough to handle photoshop/illy etc. They can get fairly pricey but well worth the $$$.

Chaz