• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need recommendation for a good third party ink supply.

0igo

Ever since I got my printer my blacks have been giving me problems. Mutoh keeps telling me it's my media and Signwarehouse keeps telling me the same. (Black prints and some red prints give me white spots and sometimes white dots like the ink never hit the media at all.) anyways I have been buying nothing but mutoh branded ink but maybe it's their ink that's giving me the problems.

so my question is does anyone know of a good third party ink supply company that you would recommend me using with my printer?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 120

MagnetStew

Doubtful its the ink. While we did switch to a 3rd party ink several years ago we did so due to cost. Mutoh's ink was always excellent.
Either media or profile but my bet is on the media. Do you run more than one type of media and if so do you have the same problem across the board?

CS-SignSupply

What brand and series of media is it? Are you sure it is a "Digital Print Media"? I have seen alot of this type of issue when customers print on standard cut vinyl that is not intended for use as a digital print media...

0igo

What brand and series of media is it? Are you sure it is a "Digital Print Media"? I have seen alot of this type of issue when customers print on standard cut vinyl that is not intended for use as a digital print media...

it happens on every type of media. I get it the worse on oracle 3651 Print Media. But I also get it when I print on banner material especially anything under 720x720, pro jet material.

CS-SignSupply

If the white dots are happening on ALL medias, you might have a storage/handing issue. A fully dust free environment is not required but if one is not able to control it, perfect prints can not be expected.

Dust particles on media will cause white spots or fish-eye effects. Obviously so will fingerprints, the vinyl resting on media handling rollers, storing media in plastic bags that can generate static, etc.

A white dot is usually dust/particle on media or defect in media that repels the ink from sticking. Static can also cause odd consistency issues in print quality but I am leaning towards environment based on ALL medias doing the same thing, using OEM Mutoh Ink, and branded digital media.

LSS Inc.

Third party Mutoh Ink supply

I too am looking for a third party Ink supplier. I would prefer bulk ink set up for Mutoh 1614 to cut cost. Looking into it for some time now. But I worry about ht risk of get a set up that doesn't work like the factory inks.

As far as the spotting or blotching. I have noticed that some times with certain dust particles in the air or differences in material can sometimes cause something like that. I would also try to find some type of pattern as far as in the same place or every so many feet. Hope it will help narrow it down.

Jackpine

I wipe my vinyl down before I print with a clean lint free cloth or a cheap paper towel and 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Makes a big difference.
3rd party inks......STS are excellent and Bobby Fosson could help with this.

TheSnowman

I've never ran a Mutoh, but I ran Bordeaux inks for about 5 years on my last machine and liked them. I've run triangle on my new machine right out of the gate and had no issues other than having to tweak profiles a little, and the stink was a little more intense. I've got no regrets running either brand after 7-8 years of running after market. Never had to replace a head because of it, and when you save 50% on every single cartridge, you could afford to replace a head if that ever became an issue, but like I said, never had issues with aftermarket ink.

heyskull

I would also agree a media or heat issue as you cannot fault Mutohs original inks. I am currently using Jetbest inks and have also good results with Lysons. SC

HCG

3rd party ink

I've used Bordeaux inks for over 5 years now in our Roland eco-solvent printer with no problems. They seem to dry faster and harder than the OEM Roland ink with great color matching at a much cheaper price point.

mortil

I run Easysys ink in both my printers. works great.
was recommended Marabu ink for my rockhopper if i was not to run mutoh ink. but i have had much less problem with the easysys ink then with marabu and mutoh ink.
when using original ink i had problems with nozzle clogging, i thnkt its wierd that original ink would do that but guess less solvent.
now i have no problems at all and fast replies if i have any questions.

Morkel

Straight up dust & fingerprints. It's not ink related I can guarantee that. The only way you could possibly look at it being ink-related is if you're not running the prints hot enough, so the ink doesn't cure properly and stays wet for longer, exacerbating any issues related to dust on the media. Even that though doesn't make the ink at fault.

What setup are you running? We've been running latex for 3 years now and have not had one reprint due to dust, but our old solvent printers, the Mimaki JV33, and particularly the Roland SP540V, all had dust problems.

Your ideal setup is a sealed room with air-con that maintains a positive pressure. The theory being that if you open a door, the pressure of the air pushes through the doorway outwards, so any dust from outside is blown back out.

As for the fingerprints, we used to have a rule that we only touch the rolls on the outer 20mm or so of the roll, but in the end we found it was more economical to write the first 400mm or so off, allowing us to use the full width of the media instead. If you're finding fingerprints more than a metre or so in to the roll, it's a supplier issue. So long as it's a digital-print specific media that you're buying as full rolls, there should be no fingerprints throughout the roll.

gabagoo

It is caused by dust for the most part.... try and keep the print area cleaner. I can't think it has anything to do with the ink