• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Recommendation for Backlit Banner for tradeshow exhibit

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
We are producing a graphic for a tradeshow exhibit that has two curved internally illuminated headers. There will be a graphic on the inside and outside face of the curved header. Typically we do backlit dye sub fabric on structures like this, but with curves like this, we get "cupping" in the vertical direction and the graphic gets distorted and should actually be flat along the edge of the cabinet. Using acrylic isn't an option because it needs to be seamless, and a polycarbonate face would be too large to crate/ship with the booth. This booth has been used in the past, before I started at the company, and they used a backlit vinyl banner material from a company that is no longer in business. It appears that its a 18-20 oz scrim similar to 3M Panagraphics 3 flex face material.

I am wondering if Panagraphics is overkill for this project, and whether I could get a way with lighter weight material like Ultraflex VulitePro BL which is 15 oz. My main concern is the light diffusion. Also this will be a silicone edge graphic so we'll be sewing the silicone gasket onto the edge to attach it to the existing frame. We are lighting this with LEDs.

The Panagraphics is almost $1100 for a 59" x 164' and I'm concerned about the weight of the roll; I'll be printing this on a JV33-160.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• backlit curved.jpg
    backlit curved.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 182

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Couldn't you just print on a thick backlit film? I carry a true backlit film that should work for that application.

TrustMoore_TN

Couldn't you just print on a thick backlit film? I carry a true backlit film that should work for that application.

Like a polyester backlit film? I don't think that would work because we have to sew the SEG gasket to it. Dave Roelle was here yesterday when we were talking about it so he may be in contact with you for suggestions. Thanks J!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Like a polyester backlit film? I don't think that would work because we have to sew the SEG gasket to it. Dave Roelle was here yesterday when we were talking about it so he may be in contact with you for suggestions. Thanks J!

Yes it would be a polyester backlit film but not meant to be sewn. If its SEG then why wont backlit fabric work? Yes Dave was asking me about this application but he described it a little weird to me lol.

TrustMoore_TN

Yes it would be a polyester backlit film but not meant to be sewn. If its SEG then why wont backlit fabric work? Yes Dave was asking me about this application but he described it a little weird to me lol.

On curved headers like that, fabric will "cup" or tend to sink in and curve in the vertical direction and not remain flat. Looking at the flex face material that will be more rigid and not stretch like the fabric to hopefully avoid this on this project.

Attachments

• cupping.jpg
    cupping.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 163

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
On curved headers like that, fabric will "cup" or tend to sink in and curve in the vertical direction and not remain flat. Looking at the flex face material that will be more rigid and not stretch like the fabric to hopefully avoid this on this project.

Is it a metal frame by chance? If so why not print the polyester film and just apply magnet strip on the back and just bypass the SEG on that part of the frame.

TrustMoore_TN

Is it a metal frame by chance? If so why not print the polyester film and just apply magnet strip on the back and just bypass the SEG on that part of the frame.

Nope- its a wood frame with the SEG channel routed in. Already fabricated. Good thought though.

rossmosh

I cut my teeth in the trade show world and haven't been involved in that industry in the last 7 years. Here's what I'm pretty sure we would have done.

Built the headers out of 3/4" plywood wrapped in Formica. Routed a channel roughly 1/8" wide, 3/8" deep, and roughly 1/2" in from the edge on both the top and bottom. Slid acrylic panels in the channel to create the graphic face. Bolt the panel sections together using t-nuts and hex bolts. Leave the top of the header with a bolt on panel to access the lighting. I'll be honest, I was more in the CAD/Design/Assembly section so I'm not sure if anything would need to be done with the seams to prevent light leak out. I assume we would have done something on the backside of the graphic.

I honestly can't recall us doing anything like you're talking about. All of our headers were solid with either PVC panels applied or vinyl graphics directly applied.