• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need sliding cutter for magnet material

VicoDrive

Can anyone recommend a sliding straight edge cutter that would work for something thick like magnet material? Preferably not too expensive

VicoDrive

straightedge & utility knife. Cheap, works all the time!

Thats what I generally use. This time though for the 3rd time, I have 500 business card sized magnets im cutting. Its not exactly quick and easy though. Even cant help but to always be off by a hair so you dont get quite the smooth stack of cards that are all perfectly the same size

reQ

In that case i use 12" metal shear with piece of styrene on top so magnet would slide easy.

VicoDrive

In that case i use 12" metal shear with piece of styrene on top so magnet would slide easy.

Trying to picture this, its a thin piece of styrene under the magnet sheet to keep from sticking to the base and you just slice away?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Funny you should mention it. I've literally cut thousands of magnetic photo frames and business cards when I had a home-based foil stamping business. I used a photo frame mat cutter. I've attached a link here, but you can find them on ebay. Simply score the magnet (top side vinyl) and then snap them apart by bending them backward. Typical magnet was 30 mil thick (.030"), and I only scored to a depth of one third of that...approx. ten thousandths of an inch...roughly the thickness of three sheets of printer paper.

I've tried to cut them clean through or use a paper cutter, but the magnet material always smeared or the cut veered off course, making an absolute mess. By scoring them, you can make dozens of cuts both directions before separating them, thus avoiding having to handle each individual cut one at a time.

They have an adjustable stop that will allow you to keep all your cuts the same.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...L6r9cgCFQMFaQodtSYISA&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=

Jackpine

Rotatrim cutter

Have a Rotatrim cutter and cut a lot of prints and laminated prints but I would not cut magnet material. It has a rotary cutter. For magnet material a knife cutter would be better. Magnets just need to be scored and they break clean.
I'm going to view this and learn something...I hope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB3MExLMZeg

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We have cut hundreds (Probably Thousands) of sheets of magnetic with rotary trimmers. The rotatrims are great, but there are other brands too.

I agree that it can be scored, then snapped clean, but that is one small extra step. If we can cut all the way through with one motion, that saves time.

I have cut many sheets by hand too, but I try to avoid that if I can anymore. :banghead:

-Gene

Jackpine

We have cut hundreds (Probably Thousands) of sheets of magnetic with rotary trimmers. The rotatrims are great, but there are other brands too.

I agree that it can be scored, then snapped clean, but that is one small extra step. If we can cut all the way through with one motion, that saves time.

I have cut many sheets by hand too, but I try to avoid that if I can anymore. :banghead:

-Gene

I have to try this. I have a Rototrim Monorail 48. Thanks.

VicoDrive

Thanks for all the links from everyone! In checking some of these out, I have found handheld cutters that are more of a grip device that you slide cut down your own straight edge instead of using a standard knife. I think this could make life so much easier on cutting magnets, foamcore and whatever else, its a little more affordable too and I think the boss would feel better on spending for that instead for now. In looking at these, many seem to use custom made blades. Are there any that anyone can recommend that use a standard razor blade without having to buy custom ones for that device?