Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Small outdoor Printer/Cutter for hardhats

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ActualGrafix, Aug 2, 2008.

1. ActualGrafix

ActualGrafix Member

Jul 12, 2007
    ok guys i need your help. I am on the road constantly for my job (im an engineer) and i need a Print/Cut solution that is mobile, i.e. UNDER 24". I get tons of requests for hardhat stickers but i have no portable equipment. I have a large cutter at home that i do vinyl graphics in my spare time. I have looked for a few days :banghead: and i cant seem to find anything. This is what im looking for . . .

Printer/Cutter in one unit
    Under 24" wide to as little as 6" wide
    Outdoor/indoor prints
    Ability to print on vinyl
    keep in mind this will be used mostly for hardhats and other small graphics.

What are my options?
    Thanks for all your help guys. :thankyou:
    Brian

Tags:
  2. Sign_Boy

Sign_Boy Major Contributor

May 18, 2007
    USA
    Welcome from NJ
    No idea

3. Mikew

Mikew Member

Feb 22, 2004
    I seem to remember that Mimaki recently came out with a 24" and up print and cut machine. I couldn't find it on their website so perhaps someone else can confirm that.

4. Rodi

Rodi Very Active Member

Aug 3, 2007
    How about a Gerber Edge? It is not a true 2 in one, but it would fit your size. Sounds like it would fit the bill.

used Roland print and cuts…

5. Sign_Boy

Sign_Boy Major Contributor

May 18, 2007
    USA
    I was thinking the Edge as well but the Foils aren't so portable.

6. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA

A Gerber Edge? I guess that would depend on your definition of mobile, the printer, the cutter and a selection of foils would take up quite a bit of room in a mobile situation not to mention the investement, 25 K to make hard hat decals, gonna have to make a heck of a lot of decals to even break even. A Roland PC-12 would be a cost effective solution (IMO)

OK I just cought something, since when does an individual with an enigineer's salary need to make stickers to supplement their income?
    So easy an engineer can do it. LOL

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  7. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    An Edge would be a bad idea due to the need to protect the print head during transport.

The logical solution is to show and sell on location and then print and cut in a fixed location and ship to customer.

8. ActualGrafix

ActualGrafix Member

Jul 12, 2007
    lol funny funny signworks. I usually only work 40 hrs a weeks and dont do crap on the weekends. I dont NEED the money but i like doing graphics and since i have to be away from home i might as well be making money. By the way, i want to keep this print/cut investment under $3000. Surely there is a company that makes a small solution for things like this? i am googleing all your helpful responses.

9. B Snyder

B Snyder Very Active Member

Jan 25, 2004
  10. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    We order our hard hard decals from Stouse. But we ordered a bunch at a time.

11. SignTech

SignTech Guest

UV outdoor print and cut all in one solution for under $3000.00 under 24" so you can make stickers. Good luck! :thumb:

Keep us non engineer people updated. lol ;)

12. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA

• It doesn't exist except in the used and antiquated market.
    • It isn't a technology that lends itself to portability.
    • The software alone will consume most or all of your budget.

13. D&Tgraphics

D&Tgraphics Very Active Member

May 17, 2007
    Lockport, NY
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :banghead::frustrated: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::omg2:

14. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    The funny funny guy gave you your only solution that fits your requirements. Start ebaying.

15. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
  16. ActualGrafix

ActualGrafix Member

Jul 12, 2007
    That would work . . . . if it printed sol, eco-sol, or really any kind of ink, and i could Invite my friends over for a card party, or take Craft ROBO with me to a card or scrapbooking party!

Im gonna shoot for the Roland PC-12. THANKS to the people that gave me the CONSTRUCTIVE posts.

17. AKWD

AKWD Member

Jun 17, 2008
    You might be able to get away with a Xerox Phaser and laminate it on-site. As for cutting, I don't know where you could find one less than 24" with registration. Maybe I'll look around for ya... Only downfall is powercycling a Phaser wastes ink, though a lot less now than earlier models.

Edit: Doh. See the above-noted Robo. :D

Edit #2: Ignore my message. I'm tired and didn't read the combo part.

18. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    I saw in on of the latest trade magazine about a new HP that is small. Don't know what model or what the cost is!

19. 49hd

49hd Member

Jan 12, 2008