• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some advice on Epson GS6000 64" solvent inkjet printer

naqviak

Hi
I am buying a print shop that has Epson GS6000 64" solvent inkjet printer along with other printers. The printer was acquired in 2008. Do you guys have any feedback on the average life of this item? Can they be maintained?

d fleming

Question isn't can it be maintained but HAS it been maintained. It is most likely nearing the end of service life. Not that it can't go further so much but rather is it more expensive to keep going or get a newer model and most likely upgrade computer and software.

naqviak

Question isn't can it be maintained but HAS it been maintained. It is most likely nearing the end of service life. Not that it can't go further so much but rather is it more expensive to keep going or get a newer model and most likely upgrade computer and software.

Thanks
So what is average life of these printers?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have seen well maintained machines run for over 12 years. I generally see solvent printers lasting about 6 - 8 years before being junked. If I owned a shop, I would probably replace my equipment every 5 years. The main concern is what maintenance is costing compared to the cost of a new printer. Printer prices are constantly going down due to higher competition in the past decade and maintenance parts prices are going up. If the cost to repair your machine starts getting towards 40-50% of the cost of a new printer, it's hard not to just bite the bullet and buy the new machine. If it were me, I would buy a machine on a 3 year loan, run it for 5, trade it in for the new model and repeat until I can buy the printer in cash and run the old printer into the ground.