• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some advice

mesheau

I've got a pickle.

The local Fire department just moved into a new hall. Within this hall they have a large sliding wooden door that covers their bar and is in the gathering area. The door is made up of 1.5" tall slats. The chief is wanting to get the maltese cross on there somehow.

We've tried a 3 mil vinyl so far with very poor results. The grooves between the slats are about .25" tall and .25" deep. This makes it near impossible to have the graphic on there without distortion.

Is there something else I can try? I mentioned painting it but I really shouldn't have. I want to explore all options before giving the project the axe.

Let me know what you guys/gals think. Cheers

Pics for reference (upside down - can't edit - you get the idea)

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 85

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Either Velcro for when it's down with a PVC sign to affix to it.... or paint it as you suggested.

mesheau

I'm just wondering how difficult this will be. Creating a vinyl stencil doesn't really seem as if it would work.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This looks to be like a roll-back, such as in old desks, but on a much larger scale.

According to the amount of detail, you might be able to use a template for some of the larger areas, but you're gonna need someone with hand control of a brush to do a fair amount of this thing, if you want it done right.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What about applying the decal while bridging the gaps, slitting it and squeegee down into each opening with the wall partially rolled up so as to open the gaps?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've done many TriVisions over the years and this would be similar to that. The edges never stay down 100%. Only one has to come up and it will look like the dickens. The constant up and downess of this shade will eventually catch an edge, especially if the wood isn't a really good receptor of vinyl graphics.

thesignexpert

This looks to be like a roll-back, such as in old desks, but on a much larger scale.

According to the amount of detail, you might be able to use a template for some of the larger areas, but you're gonna need someone with hand control of a brush to do a fair amount of this thing, if you want it done right.

+1

Check around town for a good, experienced old timer who can handle a quill and paint to do this properly.

Jillbeans

I'd create a mask and then paint it with flat black.
Then slightly sand the paint to give it an old look.
Love....Jill

mesheau

Doesn't a fire station scream for a woodburned sign...?

I thought this as well, I think the door would have to be removed for that no?

Also in regards to bridging, slicing, and applying. We tried this but the varnish on the wood isn't allowing for a good adhesion inside the gaps. and it being thinner pin lines a lot of distortion occurs. We also tried bridging, heating with a gun, and pressing into the gap, then slicing. but it have the same results.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I thought this as well, I think the door would have to be removed for that no?

Also in regards to bridging, slicing, and applying. We tried this but the varnish on the wood isn't allowing for a good adhesion inside the gaps. and it being thinner pin lines a lot of distortion occurs. We also tried bridging, heating with a gun, and pressing into the gap, then slicing. but it have the same results.

I would almost think it would be easier as-is.

visual800

I wouldnt waste my time with this project UNLESS they would allow me to mask and paint AND they had it taken down. can you imagine fighting with that thing to get a graphic on it

jfiscus

Rap Master
Not much different than the roll-up doors on the sides/back of their firetrucks. You an apply a (high-tack) vinyl to the slats then slit BOTH sides so that no vinyl goes into the recesses, but they may not like the look of that.

Otherwise, cut a reverse stencil & paint it on the slats; be careful on the recesses. Use very light coats.

Either way; keep it single-color if possible or it will look pretty tacky.

mesheau

I wouldnt waste my time with this project UNLESS they would allow me to mask and paint AND they had it taken down. can you imagine fighting with that thing to get a graphic on it

The wood is varnished as well so I'm wondering how you'd prep just the area that's getting painted.

On a side note I don't see how the mask is going to stick any better then the black vinyl we tried already.