Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advise

Discussion in 'CNC Routing & Laser Cutting' started by conwaycopies, Sep 1, 2009.

1. conwaycopies

conwaycopies Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Hey folks, this is my first venture into routing so please excuse the noobness :) i have a customer who wants some figures (illustrations of athletes) printed and contour cut on something rigid like sintra, or even foamboard. is this something that can be done fairly easily? and what kind of cost would we be looking at? i don't even know of anyone who can do it so would anyone here be interested in doing some cutting? Thanks in advance. :peace!:

Tags:
  2. CharliefromTechno

CharliefromTechno New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    The trick is registration. When you squeegy the printed material onto the backing board, it stretches a bit so you need a router with a vision system to adjust the cut file to the stretched work. Krista at Penn Sign has such a machine.

3. dman0427

dman0427 Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    We have cut shapes, then applied the printed graphics to the shapes. The print just needs to be contour cut. It is a little bit of a pain, but do-able. As mentioned, the print can sometimes get stretched. But, taking that into consideration, you can make the routed shape a little larger to make up for it.

Pricing will vary.
    Materials/Cutting time/Labor/ etc.
    It all depends.
    Sorry if this is vague.

4. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    it costs somewhere around the size times the multiplier