• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some guidance on how to break down 180 yard 3m adhesive rolls

artofacks1

Hello,

I have a laminator that can only hold up to 25 yards at a time. However, if I buy a 180 yard roll of adhesive. I get it at a rockstar price.

What ideas can you guys help me with to be able to break down the 180 yard roll into 7 25 yard rolls? I was thinking I could sit the roll on a self made bar. Have my laminator spin and have it roll it until it gets to the 25 yard roll.

I own this laminator
https://www.shopgms.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=EP-25

Anyone else deal with this problem?

Another idea was to buy a rewinder like this one
https://www.shopgms.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HDR-2

and have that spin the adhesive roll. I know its expensive but the savings in the long run would make sense.

Thanks,
Robert

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
or ...

I could make something like this as well and just feed from it...

http://www.die-cutter-paper-punch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/DSC07493.jpg
This.
I made a simple wooden one to run 85lb banner rolls through my 1304 that came with 44lb max plastic media holders.

rollerstand.jpg

artofacks1

This.
I made a simple wooden one to run 85lb banner rolls through my 1304 that came with 44lb max plastic media holders.

attachment.php

If it was for the printer i would say that works well. However, its for the laminator and the laminator has tension adjustments on the older. But i think as long as i use the same bar with the tension mechanism it should work well.

rjssigns

If the current roll holders are removable have a machine shop make extended versions. Or have them make offset versions that can be bolted to your existing mounts. Offset would be required to compensate for metal thickness of existing brackets.

Doing it this way you get to use existing hardware and the paper path stays the same as factory.

Just take a couple minutes to really look at what you have. Should be fairly simple to execute.

Not to talk you out of buying rewinders, but that is not going to work. You can't rewind self wound psa so it comes out straight without some really high end rewinding equipment. The rewinders we sell are for keeping dust off your prints and avoid babysitting longer runs. RJ is right, you need an extension. But on that machine the mandrel sits on the frame, and the easiest thing to do is build an L shaped support the goes under the laminator and raises the existing mandrel further up and back. Since we have all the equipment here, we'll let you know what the cost is to build it. It will be less than a rewinder for sure.

Doug Goodloe
Product Manager
Graphic Marking Systems

rjssigns

Not to talk you out of buying rewinders, but that is not going to work. You can't rewind self wound psa so it comes out straight without some really high end rewinding equipment. The rewinders we sell are for keeping dust off your prints and avoid babysitting longer runs. RJ is right, you need an extension. But on that machine the mandrel sits on the frame, and the easiest thing to do is build an L shaped support the goes under the laminator and raises the existing mandrel further up and back. Since we have all the equipment here, we'll let you know what the cost is to build it. It will be less than a rewinder for sure.

Doug Goodloe
Product Manager
Graphic Marking Systems

Excellent response.:thumb: Some people still care.

artofacks1

Doug and all the GMS guys are great teachers & partners to have!

Doug Goodloe
Product Manager
Graphic Marking Systems

Excellent response.:thumb: Some people still care.

rjssigns

Not to discourage your tinkering.................but is the amount you're saving really worth having to fabricate attachments so that you can use the stuff?

I know how much 3M adhesive is and we've bought the jumbo rolls before, but it just seems like this is a whole lot of work to save a bit of money.

Attachment would be simple and cheap. Would you want to keep buying and loading 25 yard rolls? We crank through 150 in no time flat.

Junkie

Laminator

Am I missing something, I'm confused on this question. Can't you just print 25 yards or less at a time and load that into the laminator?

artofacks1

Am I missing something, I'm confused on this question. Can't you just print 25 yards or less at a time and load that into the laminator?

Its the laminate rolls that I can not load 25 yards or more. 1. Its more money to buy 25 yards instead of larger rolls. 2. It sucks to have to reload laminate every 25 yards. Saves times if the laminate is load at larger rolls.