• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some Help with Cutter ARMS contour cutting

System27

Ok here goes. My problem is my Graphtec cutter seems to not read registration marks if my print is larger than a couple feet. For example I have a print right now that is six feet in length and when the cutter goes to read the marks it checks and seems to read #1 mark goes back to #2 mark appears to over shoot it a bit then comes back to #1 and shows scan error.

On a smaller cut say 2 feet or so no problems.

Here are the basics, Printing from a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor using Flexi 8.1, and Cutting from Graphtec 7000-100 using Flexi 8.1

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.:thankyou:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Ok here goes. My problem is my Graphtec cutter seems to not read registration marks if my print is larger than a couple feet. For example I have a print right now that is six feet in length and when the cutter goes to read the marks it checks and seems to read #1 mark goes back to #2 mark appears to over shoot it a bit then comes back to #1 and shows scan error.

On a smaller cut say 2 feet or so no problems.

Here are the basics, Printing from a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor using Flexi 8.1, and Cutting from Graphtec 7000-100 using Flexi 8.1

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.:thankyou:

What is the firmware level on your plotter? A few years back Graphtec released a firmware update that was addressed this. Supposedly it increased the region the plotter would search for the wayward registration mark.

What, exactly, is the distance between mark #1 and mark #2. What is it supposed to be? If the actual distance is less than it's supposed to be by the size of the registration mark or more, the plotter may not find the mark. You may need to adjust the feed compensation for your printer in Production Manager.

There are two sovereign remedies for this particular malady. One is to use manual marks and set them manually with the plotter's light pointer. The other is to learn how to make your own registration marks set at the corners of a bounding rectangle of known size and use the plotter's auto registration feature, different from Flexi's software process, and manually send the contour path to the plotter. Once you learn how to do it, and it's not difficult, you'll never miss.

Note that if you have a print that absolutely positively cannot be read by Flexi's software process you can throw it away. There's no way to save it. If the great white fathers there at SAI would merely publish the size of the rectangle described by the registration marks it added to your job you could use the plotter's auto registration system if the software recognition failed, but they don;t and you can't.

System27

Ok I am going to print another and get exact specs. I will post them back here as soon as I am finished.

As far as feed compensation for the printer I looked in production manager is that the step adjust ?? Could not find anything labeled feed compensation ??

bob

Ok I am going to print another and get exact specs. I will post them back here as soon as I am finished.

As far as feed compensation for the printer I looked in production manager is that the step adjust ?? Could not find anything labeled feed compensation ??

In Production Manager select your printer setup and do Setup->Output Size Compensation...

peavey123

I had a similar problem with my Summa cutter coming from Flexi. I found that there was an issue with having your print centered from production manager.

System27

Thanks Bob !! I will try that !! Man if it had been a snake..... anyway mine of course was set to 1 to 1 so to speak I am printing a test now and will measure etc..... Thanks a bunch hope this solves my prob. I will post back once I have tested it in case other newbies as myself run into the same problem.

CES020

One thing that caused that very problem for me was that I didn't leave the right amount of white space around the material. I think it's something like 60mm of spaces needs to be around. I had someone print the material and they printed it close to the edge. When I had them print it again and leave me a couple inches all the way around, the error went away. It's in the manual, it tells you that you have to have a predetermined amount on all sides, and you're rollers have to be a certain distance away from that.

Just something else to check, might not be your issue, but it resolved my issue. Never had a problem with one since I started leaving material around it as they specified.

P

ProWraps™

well clearly flexi has been deemed the supreme DESIGN program on this site. but i guess running a plotter just isnt one of its many specialties. i would download cutting master from the graphtec site and use it. i belive there is a standalone as well as an illustrator plugin. maybe even corel as well.

System27

Ok guys the problem in this case was my printer was printing about 1/2 of an inch shorter than called for, I got the media feed compensation set and my next 6 foot cut went off without a hitch. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, which reminds me I will be purchasing a subscription to this site as it just payed for itself several years over, the amount of knowledge and willingness to help hear is priceless !!:thankyou::U Rock:

OneUpTenn

Okay I know this is an old thread but let me ask you this......Once you test the Output Size Compensation and make the adjustments in Production Manager, then do another test print...will they measure exactly 12 x 12 or will they measure according to the offset values you put in?

bob

Okay I know this is an old thread but let me ask you this......Once you test the Output Size Compensation and make the adjustments in Production Manager, then do another test print...will they measure exactly 12 x 12 or will they measure according to the offset values you put in?

Think about it. The system printed what it thought was a 12x12 rectangle. You measured the printed rectangle and if the rectangle wasn't 12x12 you input the actual measurements.

Once you set the size compensation then the system should then print a 12x12 rectangle that actually measures 12x12.