• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need some help with old computer

gabagoo

I run my Gerber Edge off of an old computer running....now don't laugh too hard.... it runs on win2000. The issue started last week when the computer went totally dead. I figured if nothing is working then the power supply is the problem. I had an old spare at home and brought it in hooked it up and VOILA!! she started up and I got to the desktop...everything back to normal. This morning I have re started it 4 times and it just cant get to the windows screen and then gives me the blue screen asking if there were hardware changes. Well there was , but I never thought that a power supply would cause this? What can I do at this point, short of tossing the comp.

Team Valhalla

Gabagoo...

First off, there's nothing wrong with using a computer that's running win2000. You're utilizing your resources - it did the job you wanted it to. Well... it used to do it.

I had a computer do the same thing that you're experiencing. The hard drive was taking a dive. I'm not a computer expert, but I'm guessing your power source change and subsequent start up was a fluke and no different than when you previously tried a restart and got it to work.

I hope I'm wrong. If you're able to get it back up one more time, dump everything on to a back up somehow if you can.

Best of luck.

SP

WildWestDesigns

Gabagoo...

First off, there's nothing wrong with using a computer that's running win2000. You're utilizing your resources - it did the job you wanted it to. Well... it used to do it.

I had a computer do the same thing that you're experiencing. The hard drive was taking a dive. I'm not a computer expert, but I'm guessing your power source change and subsequent start up was a fluke and no different than when you previously tried a restart and got it to work.

I hope I'm wrong. If you're able to get it back up one more time, dump everything on to a back up somehow if you can.

Best of luck.

SP

I'm thinking along these lines.

If if your power source just all of a sudden took a dump, it could have been getting weaker and weaker for a much longer time. Starving the components that need that power and over time compromised them as well and now everything is just coming to a head.

See if there is a way you can clone it and run it in a VM. I think OSs before XP (if I recall Win 2000 was before XP, but it seemed like MS had a lot of different forks out around that time) don't require online activation, It may or may not work, but if you can get it in a VM, could still be able to use it to power older hardware.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would also try replacing a few other components, sounds like something else is also going out.
Hopefully you have another old computer around and a competent repair guy to help you out.
We run our Gerber Edges here off of Win7, but we are running Omega 4+ so we can use USB-to-parallel cables.

My Gerber Omega at home is an older version that I run on a Win98 machine, so it doesn't support USB.

gabagoo

Thanks guys... I have a win 7 comp avail...I really just did not want to go through the trouble of reinstalling the program and what not. The computer does not hold any vital files as they are all on my main computer and we open them across the network.... at least I think that was the way.... shheeeeeeeiiittt!! lol

gabagoo

Just a note...I can start it up in safe mode, but not sure what to do once I get to that point?

sfr table hockey

Not sure if this will help or be the same on windows 2000.

I have XP running and had issues with the battery backup not working and when we had a power failure the computer was not shut down and when I went to restart it give that window with improper shut down etc. but would not get past the windows startup screen and then would just go black.

If you can run a disk check it may get it going again and you can do it from safe mode.

For XP when open in safe mode go to the start button > then in the run section type "cmd" > then when the text window opens with black background and white text, type "chkdsk c:/r" enter.

This may say something like can't preform disk check but will on next start up. Click "y" and then restart the computer.

On XP it will bring up a new looking windows screen with the disk check process and step 4 takes a long time, could be an hour or more. The steps 1,2,3,& 5 were not so bad. Once it went through the steps it restarted on its own and opened as normal.

Mine still has issues on start up once and a while so I try not to shut down much or I end up going through the whole thing again.

Do a search on running a disk check in windows 2000 in case it is different.

w2csa

I hope this is not the case but I have seen, twice, a hard drive take out a power supply.
Sometimes it will give a overheat alarm from the hard drive.

sign girl

Fonts

If you can get to safe mode make sure you save all of the fonts you have installed over the years.

gabagoo

If you can get to safe mode make sure you save all of the fonts you have installed over the years.

This comp has nothing in it really ...just Omega...I bring all the files over the network and then save them again back over the network to my main comp. Come to think of it, I could probably run my Edge off the main computer seeing it sits idle most days

player

Get a copy of Acronis and clone the drive. Take out the old drive, put in the new clone drive and you are back. I think Western Digital includes a download version of Acronis if you use their drive for free.

CMYKprnt

Just an FYI - Anytime you get a blue screen it is related to the following - poorly written device drivers or malfunctioning hardware, such as faulty memory, power supply issues, overheating of components, or hardware running beyond its specification limits. It looks as though the power supply may not have been compatible with your operating system or mother board.

sewfun52

Installation CD

If you put the windows installation CD in the drive and have it boot from the CD, you should be able to re-install without losing everything. Maybe. If you're really a little bit crazy and have the time, there is a way to check the power supply to see if that's the problem. A paper clip works...