• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some help with two banners...

francisco2525

Well, first of all I am not sure this is the write place for this topic, if it is not, then I apologize. I am trying to see if I can do anything possible to fix the situation...I bought two large banners sizes 8ft by 15 ft from a company--I will not mention names, for a client that wanted to put them on on a frame that he made: size 8ft by 15 ft. However, when I received them they were like three inches shorter from the sides and two inches shorter from the top. My client informed me that it didn't want to fit on his frames. I called the company and they told me it was my fault because I should have read their FAQ where it informed clients that on large banner prints there will sometimes be a 1 percent difference either shorter or bigger....but, who reads the FAQ. So now I have to pay another $275 dollars t0 purchase the new 2 banners, I am actually coming in the red in this deal...hahahaha. Is their any anything I can do, again I just need three inches on the side, I think he is okay with the width being two inches shorter......

Thank.....

SameDay Signs

You should always specify exact size needed if this were the case. But in your defense if its just in the FAQ area and not the terms then I would demand a redo. If they don't I would simply stop using them and bite the bullet and remake them with another company. IMO

Why don't you suggest to the customer to use some sort of strapping system to install the banner onto the frame....assuming there are grommets on it.

grafixemporium

This happened to us recently on a 20x10 we ordered from a merchant member here. The grommets were not placed on any kind of centers and the banner was about 2 inches short. We made it work, but it could have just as easily gone wrong. I don't get it. When we make banners in house, they are to the specified dimensions.

francisco2525

What abou tthis...

I was thinking of calling them and asking them if I could send them the banners back and they could cut one of the sides and then sew it in and add 3 to 5 inches....I notice that last time when I ordered a 10 by 20 banner from them that is what they did, I guess they were unable to print an entire banner that was higher than 8ft. Well hopefully they will work with me and use this alternative and if they don't I will just use a different company.

fresh

can you cut one of the hemmed edges off? you should then be able to add onto it using double sided banner tape. hopefully the graphics will allow you to make this addition.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to say, but unless this is your first time ordering a banner, any of the places we get our pre-made banners will always tell us what the finish size will be. It's a pretty well known fact, if you need something to be exact size, you hafta to address that.

If you don't see it this way, then why is it, you understand a 2 x 4 is not truly a 2 x 4, but you accept it ??

You use PMS color guides to be sure of colors, why is this different ??

Keep the banners and give a good deal on them to some real estate agent and you won't lose much money at all.

francisco2525

Hi Gino, this is not my first Rodeo, I have purchased a lot of Banners from B2signs, and this is the first time that this has happened. I called them to see if they could rectify the situation, and plainly put the customer service guy was very rude and bluntly told me it was my fault and that I should have read the FAQ and for that reason they would not replace the banners....

Nobody else payed attention to the fact that it is short 3 inches which is def more then 1%. 1% should be 1.8" this is almost double. I would tell them yes I read it but this is more the 1%

HulkSmash

I don't read FAQs. This type of things should be in an approval email with the proof.
3 inches is huge. Typically it's a range of a quarter inch. not 3, not 1.5..not 1.

I wouldn't be paying for a new one, that's for sure.

Is the FAQ question - "Will my banner be the size that i order"?

sounds pretty dumb to me. ALSO 1% is not 3 inches, it's about 1.2

J Hill Designs

with banners I have always seen it as a nominal measurement - if you (used to) buy pre-hemmed 24" banner material, it was only 22"

If you do end up adding blank banner material to make the size correct, don't use banner tape. Get some HH66 from any supply house and it will NOT come apart.

Billct2

Don't know what it looks like, but adding a border would probably work.
I have a local industrial sewing shop that can sew these for me.

Pat Whatley

1. You overpaid for the banners.
2. You undercharged for the banners.

All the patchwork, hems, border ideas are solutions but in the end you're still selling your customer a hacked together job for something that is your problem, not theirs.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hi Gino, this is not my first Rodeo, I have purchased a lot of Banners from B2signs, and this is the first time that this has happened. I called them to see if they could rectify the situation, and plainly put the customer service guy was very rude and bluntly told me it was my fault and that I should have read the FAQ and for that reason they would not replace the banners....

Yeah, like it's easy to tell it's not your first rodeo, but did you do what the directions called for in this case ??

Put aside the customer rep's attitude, the 1% or the overall cost...... did you follow their instructions ??

If you didn't, then I have a hard time figuring out why you think they owe you ??

Most problems are black and white, until you insert emotions, then everything gets outta hand.

I got an order the other day from a customer. Window lettering job he wants done by tomorrow... Wednesday for an Open House. He sent me his a logo, along with the dimensions and color white. We vectorized it and told him what it would cost to remove the old name and replace his new one. With the temperatures being in the single digits, I told him I would get the old logo off, but I couldn't get the new one on because of the cold and was gonna put a banner on the inside for his show. He agreed and understood. Got there this morning and thought the lettering looked a little bleak. Turns out, it's not white lettering, but metallic silver. The stooge is color blind........ I was going to try to get the logo back on later this afternoon, as it's getting much warmer then they predicted, but I don't know about you, but silver cast is not a color I keep on the shelves. I can't remember the last time I used silver for anything ?? Had to call him and tell him he gave me the wrong color and I hafta order silver, so he screwed up his own deadline. I just hope tomorrow is warm again like today.

My point is, all details were spelled out beforehand and dealt with accordingly. No one had to figure out who did what and why. This is going to cost this guy more as I had explained metallic silver costs more than straight white. He didn't balk.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We're in a service industry. Reputation and repeat business are the only way to make it in my opinion. You should reorder the banner for your customer at the correct size.

From a mm prospective we would have reprinted it for you for free or a discount, whatever you thought was fair.

We wouldn't risk damage to our reputation for a $300 job.

Last edited:

rjssigns

We're in a service industry. Reputation and repeat business are the only way to make it in my opinion. You should reorder the banner for your customer at the correct size.

From a mm prospective we would have reprinted it for you for free or a discount, whatever you thought was fair.

We wouldn't risk damage to our reputation for a $300 job.

Spot on! :thumb:

I've posted about this very thing. Banners have become a commodity like so many other things in our "world". The only way to differentiate yourself from the pack is having stellar customer service.

When you are selling a commodity it is becoming more about the overall experience than product.

If you think this is false then why do folks go in droves to stores like Cabela's and pay more? You can get fishing lures, line, ammo and guns at Walmart.

This concludes today's lecture. There will be a quiz next week.:rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Spot on! :thumb:

I've posted about this very thing. Banners have become a commodity like so many other things in our "world". The only way to differentiate yourself from the pack is having stellar customer service.

When you are selling a commodity it is becoming more about the overall experience than product.

If you think this is false then why do folks go in droves to stores like Cabela's and pay more? You can get fishing lures, line, ammo and guns at Walmart.

This concludes today's lecture.
There will be a quiz next week.:rolleyes:

Where can I get tissues in a box without advertisements on it ??