• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need some ideas for fabricating a large magnetic write on erase board

gabagoo

Went to see a customer who I have done many write on erase boards for in the past.
Now he needs one that will be larger than a 4 x 8 and he needs 2 of the columns to be able to use magnets on.
I ponder this for a few moments and tell him that once you go beyond 48"- 50" in height we are looking at certain issues which may make this difficult.

the board basically will sit on the shop floor and I think it is going to end up being 6' x 8 to 10 feet wide. They have a company that will make a frame and legs from extrusion so i dont have to deal with that. he has so many columns vertically that even if we did get it to fit into 50" the area to write in will be pretty small. I tried suggesting running 2- 4 x 8's side by side but he wants what he wants and until I can prove otherwise I have to figure out how to do this.

I told him we could basically make the board write on erase but in the 2 colums that require magnets we could lay down a thin sheet of tin and cover it with the same graphics so from a distance it will blend in, but I said from up close you are definately going to know that it is a section glued into place. ( I still think it would look good) but no, he wants it all steel.

The weight of this sign is going to be extreme. I will need to outsource the printing as I only have a 54" machine, and do they even make write on erase laminate that large?
The worse part about this is that he is being a little anal about the steel insert as I know in this shop, because they are making car parts and melting aluminum, the environment will make this board look like crap within 6 months.

I walked around the shop floor (absolutely huge) with another manager who needs all the write on erase boards by each machine replaced as within 3 or 4 years the gunk and grease and God knows what else that builds up on them is horrible. If you looked up to the ceiling lights which must have been 60 or 70 feet up you would see halos around them from the crap in the air.
It's all safe the guy tells me as I started to choke and cough after being in this one area for less than 5 minutes.

So guys I was thinking I could buy galvanized tin to use for the steel backing and get a gauge that is not to heavy (not sure my supplier has it larger than 48" though). Apply the galvanized to a 1/4" plywood and then apply the graphics over the tin (it is very smooth, have made many magnetic boards this way in the past).
I just think the weight of this board will be incredibly heavy once it is done

so does the write on erase lam come in a 6 foot size? (doubtful)
can you buy plywood that is 72" x 10'? (doubtful again)
and what about that tin? you think it comes in 72" rolls? (again doubtful)

I still think 2- 4 x8 boards side by side would work well for them. I even explained to him if you had this 6' board on the floor and it was elevated to 36" how the heck was anyone going to write anything in at the 8' level.

he is an engineer and I have to point this out to him...go figure.

Well what do you think ?
can it be done?
is it worth my time?

I know it is a lot of questions, but as much as I dont even want to do this, there is lots of other work there for me so i dont want to get them to upset.

jiarby

just say
"I think I will pass on this one! Thanks...."

or

sell him a giant jumbotron lcd display that they can update electronically, with a nice protective enclosure.

MikePro

it can be done, but yeah you'll most likely have to tile it. remind him how much less expensive it would be with standard sizes... as tiling doubles the price for only x% increase in size.
biggest write-on erase lam or material i've seen is 54"
biggest plywood sheet i've seen is 5' same with steel and tin.

Sticky Signs

Don't you just love engineers?
Luckily you're in Ontario so you have access to Drytac and ND Graphics.
Drytac carries a bunch of magnetic products and I believe they all have "Ferro" in the name. IE FerroJet, FerroLight etc... I know they've got a roll product that is very thin (10mil?) and it will hold magnets. They also have Dry erase lam but it seems a bit pricey.
I recently got some dry erase lam from ND Graphics. The price was good and the product works very well.
Check their websites for more info.

PM me and I'll point you towards a few people I know that do Grand format printing should you need it.

gabagoo

Don't you just love engineers?
Luckily you're in Ontario so you have access to Drytac and ND Graphics.
Drytac carries a bunch of magnetic products and I believe they all have "Ferro" in the name. IE FerroJet, FerroLight etc... I know they've got a roll product that is very thin (10mil?) and it will hold magnets. They also have Dry erase lam but it seems a bit pricey.
I recently got some dry erase lam from ND Graphics. The price was good and the product works very well.
Check their websites for more info.

PM me and I'll point you towards a few people I know that do Grand format printing should you need it.

Drytac is a 3 minute drive from my office and ND is a 3 minute drive in the opposite direction. lol
I will check out drytacs stuff although in the past I was always forced to buy full rolls and there stuff is pretty pricey.

gabagoo

you may want to give Architectural School Products a call, they are in Missisauga, they do custom marker boards all the time for us. http://www.aspproducts.ca/

I have heard of these guys before but cant remember ever dealing with them.I also do work for Egan Visual who sells the cadilacs of write on erase boards but these are going to be used in an unhospitable environment. I have to talk him into doing 2 4 x 8's...so much easier towork with too.

theoldguy

Went to see a customer who I have done many write on erase boards for in the past.
Now he needs one that will be larger than a 4 x 8 and he needs 2 of the columns to be able to use magnets on.
I ponder this for a few moments and tell him that once you go beyond 48"- 50" in height we are looking at certain issues which may make this difficult.

the board basically will sit on the shop floor and I think it is going to end up being 6' x 8 to 10 feet wide. They have a company that will make a frame and legs from extrusion so i dont have to deal with that. he has so many columns vertically that even if we did get it to fit into 50" the area to write in will be pretty small. I tried suggesting running 2- 4 x 8's side by side but he wants what he wants and until I can prove otherwise I have to figure out how to do this.

I told him we could basically make the board write on erase but in the 2 colums that require magnets we could lay down a thin sheet of tin and cover it with the same graphics so from a distance it will blend in, but I said from up close you are definately going to know that it is a section glued into place. ( I still think it would look good) but no, he wants it all steel.

The weight of this sign is going to be extreme. I will need to outsource the printing as I only have a 54" machine, and do they even make write on erase laminate that large?
The worse part about this is that he is being a little anal about the steel insert as I know in this shop, because they are making car parts and melting aluminum, the environment will make this board look like crap within 6 months.

I walked around the shop floor (absolutely huge) with another manager who needs all the write on erase boards by each machine replaced as within 3 or 4 years the gunk and grease and God knows what else that builds up on them is horrible. If you looked up to the ceiling lights which must have been 60 or 70 feet up you would see halos around them from the crap in the air.
It's all safe the guy tells me as I started to choke and cough after being in this one area for less than 5 minutes.

So guys I was thinking I could buy galvanized tin to use for the steel backing and get a gauge that is not to heavy (not sure my supplier has it larger than 48" though). Apply the galvanized to a 1/4" plywood and then apply the graphics over the tin (it is very smooth, have made many magnetic boards this way in the past).
I just think the weight of this board will be incredibly heavy once it is done.
Make sure you get 'Electro-plated galvanized sheet metal and Not Hot Dipped. The hot-dipped will be warpped and you'll never get it to lay flat. Also, the electro ploated is ready to paint, don't even need primer.

moonrakercat

dry erase unhospitable

you need a porcelain magnetic dry erase board if it's in a rough environment - sounds like 5' high x whatever wide- give this guy a call - he does these and has them in stock - big ones to. He does custom sizes. You'll have to do it in vinyl - no laminating needed for the surface. 519 787-8290

good luck

gabagoo

you need a porcelain magnetic dry erase board if it's in a rough environment - sounds like 5' high x whatever wide- give this guy a call - he does these and has them in stock - big ones to. He does custom sizes. You'll have to do it in vinyl - no laminating needed for the surface. 519 787-8290

good luck

thanks I going to call him tomorrow and see whatg options he can do for me

MikePro

might be too late to be useful, but just got this email from ChemMetal today advertising their magnetic+dryerase laminates:
here