• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some info on the HP 26500.

WB

One showed up at my shop on Friday, it's a barely used one. Showed up in a van still has the ink in it. problem is I don't have the power setup to plug it in. What's going to happen with the ink? does the printer cycle the heads to keep the clean? whats going to happen I have a feeling the printer has been unplugged for awhile.

I didn't know it was coming until Friday, Electrician is coming today to install the wiring needed.

Any tips would be great.

I've run a HP designjet before this one looks to be the same beside the large heaters.

WB

so how does the ink dry.. heat from the heaters? probably not going to have it hooked up for a couple more days. Need to order a transformer.

Aklaim

Yes, the heaters dry and cure the ink. Sometimes you can actually see the water evaporating in the machine.

CreatedDesigns

Right in the user manual it says if you need to move the printer or have it off for a period that you leave all ink carts inside the machine.

WB

Great thanks guys.. I'll probably have more questions once I get this up and running. From what I've read the learning curve is pretty steep with this one because of the heat and different profile settings. I'll mainly be using it for vehicle graphics on 3M material and banners. I believe ONYX poster shop came with it. I'm using Production house ans Wasatch on my other printers not sure If we'll upgraded Production house to take the HP or not.

JoeBoomer

Hey WB

The printer is pretty darn good on most materials EXCEPT - it sucks on cheap banner material. The heat will warp your print and give you a wavy pattern.

Other than that, you just need to keep an eye out if the prints are coming out looking "oily" or if you can move the ink with your finger (kind of smudge it). Once you know what to look for and how to fix/adjust that, you'll love the printer.

Solvent be damned

WB

Just a little update..
Printer is up and running everything looks great so far. 1st wrap is coming off as we speak should be laminating tomorrow. It really makes it easier to pushing things through know you can go straight to lamination and not risk future failures.

So far print quality looks great. 1 question I do have is the DPI. Seems that every profile I've downloaded is maxed at 600 2bpp? whats that I'm guessing this is a different way of determining resolution?

already had 2 head strikes so far. no crazy about that

Bill

Redfield

I've seen the option to change the DPI for profiles in Onyx, but it will slow down the print time. It's only really useful for canvas prints, posters, etc. Go into Media Manager if you want to play around with the higher DPI settings.

For head strikes, just increase the vacuum pressure in the profile. If that doesn't work, use the edge clips that came with the machine. I use them all the time with printing on banner material.

Just in case you were unaware, you don't need to wait overnight to laminate prints. You can take the finished prints and immediately laminate and use. Pretty awesome.

genericname

...Go into Media Manager if you want to play around with the higher DPI settings.

Did they change things that drastically between Onyx 7 and 11? Unless I'm making changes to the profile, I stay away from Media Manager, and just change my output resolution by right-clicking on the job in the production manager, and selecting "Edit > Printer Settings".

Redfield

I'm not sure. When you right click the job in Onyx 10 you only have the option to change the pass mode. You have to go into Media Manager and go deeper to change the DPI settings. Maybe there is another way to do it but I have never increased to the higher DPI setting. The output quality is very crisp with the default resolution.