• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Some Urgent Hiring Advice

Sven

I have one guy working for me, and he's becoming a big problem. Besides newspaper ads, which can be very expensive, where can you recommend advertising a part-time sign manufacturing/install job? And what's a reasonable starting hourly rate for someone with little or no experience (northeast NJ)?

Bigdawg

Just Me
Craigslist is big here for jobs - and free. Try there, but use a blind email.

But I have to ask what you mean by "becoming a big problem" - care to elaborate a little? That intrigues me...

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Craigslist. It is free in my area but the closer you get to NY city, they start charging more.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
craigslist has a fee in NY?!?

For Help wanted ads they do in Fairfield County CT and the boroughs of NY City.
And probably other metro areas as well.

Still cheaper than the help wanted classified ads in the newspaper that run us around $125 for 5 days for 4 lines. They say the cost is so high because you get exposure through their online classifieds. It used to be 1/2 of that before the internet.

Sven

Craigslist is big here for jobs - and free. Try there, but use a blind email.

But I have to ask what you mean by "becoming a big problem" - care to elaborate a little? That intrigues me...

If i start explaining, it will just stress me out even more...
Any thoughts on starting pay, in cash, for someone with very little to no experience??

Sven

I'm paying $15 cash, and I feel like that's a lot.. It's part-time to full-time depending on how busy we are.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean by... 'Paying Cash' ??

Don't you have this guy on the books ??
Does he or doesn't he work for you ??
Are you really looking for an installer to dig holes or put signs together ??
If I were you, I wouldn't be advertising for people to work for cold cash or you could get in a lot of trouble.

Besides, if you hire a complete novice, how good can that be, unless he's only gonna dig holes ??

I would expect, you either need an employee or a sub contractor..... not someone you don't have to pay taxes, FICA and other fees. Paying people under the table is really not legal...... in case you didn't know it. When he shows up to dig holes or instal a sign on a property, how do you handle permitting..... if you do at all ??

Sven

What do you mean by... 'Paying Cash' ??

Don't you have this guy on the books ??
Does he or doesn't he work for you ??
Are you really looking for an installer to dig holes or put signs together ??
If I were you, I wouldn't be advertising for people to work for cold cash or you could get in a lot of trouble.

Besides, if you hire a complete novice, how good can that be, unless he's only gonna dig holes ??
I would expect, you either need an employee or a sub contractor..... not someone you don't have to pay taxes, FICA and other fees. Paying people under the table is really not legal...... in case you didn't know it. When he shows up to dig holes or instal a sign on a property, how do you handle permitting..... if you do at all ??

I pay him cash because he doesn't have a checking account, but I treat him as a subcontractor and have him sign a receipt, so it's all on the books. The taxes are his responsibility. Customers handle the permits here.

craigslist in NJ is still free.

craigslist in NJ is still free.

In areas where we have had to pay we actually get much better responses as I guess scammers/spammers don't place ads there.

We use a google form as a questionaire. Then the replies all come in one form and we have a spreadsheet of applicants for later review. By asking detailed questions we can weed a lot of unsuitable people out.

Marie

We have had good luck contacting student employment at local junior colleges and career colleges.