• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Some Urgent Hiring Advice

MikePro

temp agency's are great. if you like your temp employees, you can keep them after a certain amount of time... otherwise you can can them at any time along the way. (but you wouldn't be paying cash)
downside, here we're paying $12/hr and the employee only receives $10 after the agency takes their cut, but the employee couldn't be happier should you decide to keep them and give them that $2 raise that you were already paying anyways.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I pay him cash because he doesn't have a checking account, but I treat him as a subcontractor and have him sign a receipt, so it's all on the books. The taxes are his responsibility. Customers handle the permits here.

So whose liability insurance gets reviewed for said installation ?? I hardly think anyone working as a sub, is only gonna be charging out at $15. an hour and have proof of a 2 or 3 million dollar umbrella insurance plan.

Does his business have a name or is it registered ??

Call it what you like, but it appears differently in writing and remember, you've written this all down for any and all to see.

Around here, if someone is taking orders from you, showing up when you need them, using your tools and/or advise, reporting in to you and signing a receipt made up by you...... you are indeed an employer of that person. Employees... whether part time or full time, need to be on your books for tax purposes. Otherwise, you could be in trouble regardless of what your accountant is telling you.

I don't know exactly about your state, but what you are doing is considered legal up to $600 in Pennsylvania..... and many other states. After that it is no longer considered casual help, so paperwork for this person needs to be filed and sent in.

Not busting your chops, but I really don't like the idea of this kind of information getting out as being Okay in business, because it's not. :rock-n-roll:

ProWraps

i posted a position of production manager with a salary of $50k vacation, and benefits allowance. i got NOT ONE reply.

i have no installers. i would pay $20 starting ALL DAY LONG.

i got no qualified replies.

SMH.

C

ColoPrinthead

Find the nearest tech college with a graphics program and get an intern.
:goodpost:
Even if they don't teach much about print at them anymore you should be able to find someone who will have an interest in applying their skills in a new way.

or

Craigslist. Skilled trade and art and media. I quit using monster for about 7 years until my latest transition.

I know people with $90K in loans making less than what you are paying.

One last suggestion, go to Kinkos and hire one of their better workers, those people hate their jobs.

fresh

We snatch up the college-age children of our clients. I'd rather teach them how and what I want done than have someone come in with experience. So far, so good.

Maybe start talking to your customers to see if they know anyone looking for job. There is a whole host of unemployable art students just about to graduate, maybe you can find one of them. Call a local college's job office, I bet they can send you plenty of applicants.

rjssigns

Another thing, at least with our tech college, is the instructors will tell you straight up who is worthwhile. Ya know the ones that show up for class everyday, stay the full class time, do their assignments, don't text in class etc...

Sven

i posted a position of production manager with a salary of $50k vacation, and benefits allowance. i got NOT ONE reply.

i have no installers. i would pay $20 starting ALL DAY LONG.

i got no qualified replies.

SMH.

THIS I don't believe..

Chriswagner92

I'm sure you have found someone, the guy got his act together, or whatever, and as I'm sure someone has already stated, Interns. Go to your local college, (I would recommend CCM) and try to get into their internship program. Sure they technically can't replace a current employee, and you have to give them stuff in lieu of wages, but it is a way to both help them get experience, and for you to possibly hire new employees after they complete their term as an intern, without you having the responsibility of ever actually hiring them.

Speaking from personal experience, an internship is an invaluable learning experience. I learned more in the 4 months at the studio I was at than i did in the 2 years at school.

Just a thought, and good luck with whatever you do.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
When we need someone, we generally print up about 350 24x18 yard signs that say, "Want to make this sign and get paid? Call 888-509-7446" We put them all over the city and we get hundreds of calls.

I'm kidding... There are some good ideas and advice on here already!

Chriswagner92

When we need someone, we generally print up about 350 24x18 yard signs that say, "Want to make this sign and get paid? Call 888-509-7446" We put them all over the city and we get hundreds of calls.

I'm kidding... There are some good ideas and advice on here already!

We just put out a coroplast sign that said HIRING and nothing more, we had about 50 people just come in and call and ask... it was a pita.