• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need something to say to liar solicitors

binki

Every few weeks we either get a call or a visit from someone saying they are with Verizon phone service and they have audited their accounts and found out we are paying to much and want to adjust our account.

This is a total scam, they are not from Verizon but they do contract with them.

I normally hang up on the phone calls but the idiots that come in need a stronger brush off.

They normally come in and say that the service in the area is having problems or that someone down the street just got service upgraded or some other BS line.

Any thoughts on what I can say to them politely while getting the point across that I am on to their game?

skyhigh

yep..... GO AWAY!!! :ROFLMAO:

My daughter worked a couple summers (while going to college) for a telemarketer/credit card company. She actually found it entertaining to hear the unusual, obnoxious & rude responses. After hanging up with one of those calls, her response (with a giggle) was NEXT....

Last edited:

Mainframe

Cut them off when they start talking & say, I am not interested, thanks, please take me off your list, when they keep talking, just keep saying, please take me off your list, will you take me off your list? just keep saying that, by law they have to remove you when you ask them, as far as the people coming in, I interrupt them, & tell them I am not interested, if they keep going I tell them I don't answer any business practice questions ever, & also I have never buy anything from someone who comes in the door, if I want something I know where to get it, I was smart enough to start this business, all the while I walk past them & hold the door open for them-they get the hint.

CES020

We had a phone call from them not too long ago. They told me that we had recently moved our phone line to another carrier and they wanted to see what they could do to get us back. I told him we never had verizon, ever, at this location. He told me he was looking at a record with my number on it, showing we had verizon at one time. I told him I was the one that set the phone number up, 4 years ago and we've never had verizon, ever. He told me I was wrong, we did have verizon at one point and we should consider switching back. I explained to him repeatedly we had VoIP and ran through Comcast, so we've never had any verizon service, no internet from them, no phone from them, no cell phone from them.

He told me I did so.

I hung up on him. Apparently he didn't want the facts to get in the way of his sales pitch.

Pro Image

Tell the f'ers that your on the "No Call List" and if they call back again you'll report them to the FCC....That will get them to stop calling........

As for the people that WALK IN.....Tell them they are not wanted and they are trespassing........If they don't leave your calling the cops...........

You really have a hard time with this crap don't you......First the Street Fair and now walk-ins and phone calls.......Get a back bone and call them out.....You don't have to be nice to EVERYONE.......Tell them to F off and be done with it and don't worry about it anymore.......You will feel much better when you do.......

Steve C.

I had a huge confrontation with these people at one time. I wont go into
detail. I have a large No Soliciting sign on my door. If they come in anyway
I say "No thanks". If they continue, I say " I'm sure you saw my sign on the
door, by choosing to ignore it you have decided to waste you time and mine,
please leave".

Pro Image

Malkin your right.....I have my business at home so I forgot all about that........but like you said put your # on there anyway..........

binki

You really have a hard time with this crap don't you......First the Street Fair and now walk-ins and phone calls...........

I am not an angry person and just want to do my thing but without being bothered but I am just in a pissy mood this week. $1000 in repairs to equipment that I found out didn't need it and a lot of backlogged work from the downtime that didn't have to happen can do that.

On a similar note: We had a guy come in last year and switch our service without authorization and upon threat of a formal complaint to the PUC and FCC Verizon switched us back at no cost and got the guy fired from the agency he was scamming for.

Every time one of these guys walks in it is very hard for me to not reach over the counter and grab his neck.

I think I will have a scotch now to calm the nerves. :bushmill:

Jim Doggett

Verizon must be selling the call list to these telemarketing firms. You should cotact them and raise heck. Maybe trash them at getsatisfaction.com too.

omgsideburns

ask them if they know where u were last night ? they will say no then you respond with your mother they will hang up or leave i say it all the time john at gulf glo banners &signs

round man

When they ask you if they can ask a question tell them they just did and say go away, do not bother me anymore,...

iSign

why say anything?

baseball_bat.gif

Farmboy

These people are getting desperate. I don't remember having these many call or stop by wanting me to buy something. I let them know that I've gotten this far in 10 years without them. Good day!

John L

You are a sign maker. Google "prank bumper stickers" for inspiration and make you up a batch. Have the shop help do your dirty work while you stall them.

Lean in and get real close to your salesman mark to have alook at that sales brochure he has. This is the cue for your shop help call your cell. You pretend like its a call you are expecting from your doctor. Grab your salesman's pen to jot a couple things down (so he dont run off). Now start in on a one sided conversation about the highly contageous viral desease you have. "So, how many stomach shots? Oh my god!".

binki

Well the last few suggestions are more like it. I feel recharged already. I hope one of these guys comes in this week while this is still fresh in my head and I am still pissed off about it!

One thing I did do with someone who called once was to insist that for every question she asked me I got to ask her a question that had to be answered. My first question was 'what are you wearing?' She did go along with it and we went through the entire sales pitch.

Sign_Boy

When they call try this....
Talk for a second then say I'm sorry can you hold for a second. Wait 30 seconds pick back up and say I'm sorry I'll be right with you - continue this until they hang up. (be sure to go from 30 seconds to 45 and so on) I use to do this at an old job. While they waited I would continue to work. It's great they think they're going to get a sale but you are just wasting their time.

For walk-ins try to make them uncomfortable - when they are talking stare at them (in the eyes) or look at their crotch:ROFLMAO: you could also stare at their nose like something is hanging out of it, while doing that be sure to rub your nose and give a nod.
Hey if you have a back room tell them to hold on for a second you have to take care of something - walk into the back room start yelling (fake) slam something down and scream you're fired - get out. Then walk back out with crazy eyes.:ROFLMAO:

mark galoob

i always get the credit card and check processers calling me...they call at least 3 x per week.

they got me at first cause they call and pretend they are customers and ask if we accept credit cards. i got wise quick though...my general response is no we do not take any cash cards or check...i only trade in chickens goats and cows...this usually shuts them up quick

mark galoob

Malkin

We get the office supply solicitors like crazy. Sometimes 3 or 4 a week.

I think we spend about $12.50 average per week in office supplies.