• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need specs on computer shopping...

k_graham

Not from what I'm seeing. The issues that I have has to do with the swipe. Unless you can specifically point out a program on that site that removes the need to swipe (to me doesn't fell natural/intuitive on using a mouse to do that motion). Or anything that else to where it's geared more to touching the using a mouse. However, the only Win 8 machine that I have is on my Cintiq tablet and I have no need to add anything to that, I'm fully satisfied with Win 8 on that device as is.

We had touchscreen work just fine with a Vista computer and if it was working back then, it will work with 7, maybe even better as Vista had it's on quirks early on. Now other things might be limited to Win 8 that's for sure, but that's the nature of the beast.

No that site will only provide the Start menu back like it was in Windows 7. I'm not sure of the issues you speak of with swipe, though I see a link to get rid of them here http://www.howtogeek.com/135507/how-can-i-disable-windows-8-swipe-gestures-on-my-laptop/ .

Anyway it is not a big issue, we use Windows 7 here and it works, I use Windows 8 with Classic Start and it works. If people prefer a pen based touch pad instead of a mouse I think a high res monitor touch screen and windows 8 would make good sense and I had read that 8 was adding 3d drivers so I prefer to keep my options open, but if one prefers to chance not requiring it they can still have a good system.

I expected someone to complain about the ECC memory and Xeons, nice to see that got through, that seems to be what makes a server and no doubt should do the same for a workstation.

Ken

SignBurst PCs

I have never really disliked Windows 8, but I would say that it took some time to get used to. I actually prefer the Charms Bar the overall UI. That being said, the general consensus from my customers keeps me building mostly with Windows 7.

About the ECC memory, I don't disapprove of it at all. It has it's place for sure. But, it is getting harder and harder to recommend a Xeon based system. We do build them and actually started exclusively building with Xeon processors. You really have to understand the architecture and benefits in order to properly utilize them though. Most people that buy Xeon based systems really don't understand the differences or benefits. It definitely isn't as simple as Xeon is "better" than Core. It really depends on your workflow and performance demands.

Signsforwhile

well yesterday i stumbled upon an off lease dell T7400

it has dual quad core xeon 3ghz processors. 16g ram, 1tb storage and dedicated graphics.

machine was $600 shipped, so i couldn't pass up on that. we'll see how it goes, thanks for everyones input.

robwaterman

Nice find, signsforawhile. How is that rig holding up?

After reading this thread I have a specific question.

Preface: I got the "ok" to purchase a new desktop for my department. We will be primarily using it for the following in order of frequency used:

- Illustrator (small amount of vectors paths, placed raster images)
- Large amount of vector paths, large document sizes, linked text, many symbols, large high res placed raster images. (Banners/industrial screen printing layouts, many repeating stepped out parts on 4x8 sheets)
- Photoshop large images
- Raw photo editing
- Adobe premier editing/rendering

Question: Is a XEON / QUADRO combination setup overkill for this kind of work? Would an i7/GeForce setup be capable enough for my workflow? Right now i'm using an old Dell precision 3400 on win xp (utilizing only 3 of the 4 megs of ram!) and it's enough to get me through the day, but bogs down about once a week on a big job, sometimes unable to perform the task.

Thanks!
- Rob

player

The Signburst tech support pitch is a great way to go. It would be nice to have that sort of support.

I put together a machine last year. I got almost everything on sale over a short period.

I used an Asus motherboard
Intel i7 3770 processor. I think they are at 4770 now.
A really nice case with insulation, silent for music recording.
A power supply 850 watts. The fan on the supply does not turn on until a % of power is used, and it has 3 speeds. For quieter operation.
I used a 1 gig graphics card that is fanless. No fan, no noise, and also no fan stop card burns out later on.
16 gigs (8 x 2) 1866 ram. The motherboard will accept 32 gigs max with 4 slots. So I can upgrade to 32 gigs by adding 2 more ram chips.
240 gig Solid State Drive. C drive, for operating system and programs.
2 gig regular drive. For data.
Win 7 Professional
I also installed a CD drive, a card reader usb. I also built this machine to double as a music recording computer, so I had a firewire card for my breakout box.

I was going to build it myself, but the computer place I was buying most of my parts has a policy of building it for $50, another $20 the warranty it for
1 year. I did not pay them another $60 to install windows. I did that myself.

I think the whole thing cost about $1400, a year ago. The case was $150, and the power supply was around $135. They were more expensive to be silent.

It is really solid and reliable.