• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need suggestions on maintaining my 1614

Wrapdup

Hello, have a Mutoh 1614. It has been in operation for me for over 3 years now. I'm not a full time shop but my work is also seasonal. So part of the year it runs everyday, and some parts it runs once a week. I take care of it day to day, so that's not what I'm looking for. What I'm asking is with a machine creeping up on another birthday, do you have any suggestions of things to replace, check, or change as a precautionary pre season check?

We have not had any major problems with it, therefore have not had to, or done a lot to it. Just the normal day to day maintenance stuff.

Any suggestions would help, thank you.

guitarguy69

The ink spit pads and wiper should be replaced. I also replace our dampers on a bi-annual schedule, but our printers run all day.

Wrapdup

I do the pads about once a month (when busy) and the wiper when ever i think about it (usually once or twice a year)

i was just curious if anyone did something more in depth.

Any idea what the normal or expected life span of a damper is?

guitarguy69

I replace them when our print heads are being replaced. I have seen dampers last up to 3 years with no issues.
Do you deep clean your maintenance station with solvent?

FatCat

New dampers wouldn't hurt, or at the least, buy them and have on hand in case a problem comes up. Also, I would keep on hand a few critical parts like an encoder strip, a CR belt and possibly an entire maintenance station. Those little things will put you down for several days or longer if they fail. The maintenance station is a big ticket item, but trust me it is really nice to have one sitting there ready to go. I would also make sure you routinely flush your maintenance station with some solvent to keep the drain lines clear. With these VJ printers the drain lines are the achilles heel to the print head.

Also, another thing to keep your eye on is keeping the raceway and bearings on the carriage clean and lubed. Especially the back top and back bottom bearings that are hard to get to. I know Mutoh says to use their bearing grease (which I have) but I have been using a high quality fishing reel lube with the needle tip which helps get a little more lube on the bearings.